What's new

Disney Classics and their respective "sequels" (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think they don't sully the original works, but they do alter their image a little. If someone tells you a story but leaves the ending out, it's left to your imagination. Having them tell you the ending changes how you view the story. In the same way, you could watch a Disney movie, then its horrible sequel, and never look at the original the same way again.

So it more or less sullies the way you look at the film, but not the film itself.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Of course, we're in a different camp altogether. There are people out there who say that the Disney classics are bastardized versions of the original story. I've heard everything from Cinderella being originally Russian to Aladdin being Chinese. Whether or not such alledged statements are true, I still hold the Pre-Pocahontas Disney in high regard.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Let me put it this way, I had bought Hunchback 2, Lady And The Tramp 2, Little Mermaid 2, Tarzan And Jane for my kids. The movies repulsed me so much, I used any excuse I could to get them out of their collection (sorry). Now I refuse to even look at any sequel like Cinderalla 2, Peter Pan 2 etc.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
I find the easy way out is to just pretend those DTV sequels don't really exist and that the stories actually end with the proper theatrical movies. Belle and the Beast hook up, THE END. Aladdin and Jasmine hook up, the genie is freed, THE END. Simba and... you get the point.

The only thing that cracks me up is when Disney obviously misses choice opportunities to create franchises and instead opts to take shots at their feet instead by producing sub-par entertainment.

And of course my prime, prime example of this would be... The Black Cauldron. Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain books are some of my favorite childhood novels, they're stirring, gripping, and slightly dark, filled with danger and adventure and tales of courage and redemption. So naturally, rather than do a SERIES of movies on the books, they try and shoe-horn parts of the first two books to make a movie that bears only the most cursory passing to the source material.

A series of Prydain movies, well animated, would be gold, especially in today's post-LotR market. Naturally such a thing will never happen and we'll never see a proper film adaptation of Prydain, but it's a crying shame. Disney had all the elements together visually, the story just didn't work.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks