What's new

Disney buys Marvel-first step in more Marvel cartoons on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
This one caught me by surprise: Disney Acquires Marvel for $4 Billion

With a little luck, now that they're under the same umbrella, we'll be able to get things like Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends, Hulk, Silver Surfer and the rest of the 'toons on disc. At least, I assume one of the entities owns the show and they saw how well the X-Men series has been selling...

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
They haven't even gotten all the Disney Afternoon stuff out yet and when they do, it is a season or volume a year.

Cheetah

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Spider-Man '67 collection but I'm still waiting for a complete release of The Marvel Super Heroes from 1966 in addition to Hanna-Barbera's 1967 Fantastic Four series.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
has nothing to do with tv. all this is is feature film production for live action and animated feature films.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'd like think that since Marvel and Disney are under the auspices of the same company now, Disney will see it's to their advantage to release the Marvel content they control. Maybe they will. Maybe they won't. I'm hopeful. After all, they did see the wisdom is getting animated X-Men on the shelf.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Obsolete Man

Those X-Men cartoons were released just a few months ago, IIRC.

I wonder if this deal was already in the works when it was decided upon to release those sets?
According to Deadline Hollywood, this has been in the works for a LONG time.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
It's funny, my reaction was the complete opposite regarding any deep catalog Marvel product. given Disney's crap track record with their own deep catalog stuff, I figured this was the kiss of death for the Marvel stuff.

In my opinion, they didn't purchase Marvel for the product that already exists, they purchased them for the stable of characters and the product yet to be produced.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Jason, I think you're confused. Disney will not have any influence over what Marvel publishes in its comic book publishing arm. I suspect that the only influence that Disney is going to have over Marvel is, more than likely, to be able to create live action or animated projects involving Marvel characters.

Disney has been suffering from the same glut as it has had to deal with for the past few decades and rather than innovate their company, they've operated in the same way as they have operated since the 1930's. Now, with the purchase of Marvel Entertainment, Disney has a chance to expand their customer base by producing a whole new area of entertainment.

Disney has the ability to produce new live action movies and animated films and television shows based on characters created and owned by Marvel Comics. This would open up a whole new range of Marvel characters and also allow Disney to open up theme parks at Disney World based on these characters. Imagine Spiderman and Mickey Mouse teaming up together in a special to help disadvantaged kids or orphens ... I think the main reason for the purchase is the ability to release projects to home video (DVD and Blu Ray). Disney is also allowing the current contracts with other studios to run their course but they have also expressed interest in being able to release Marvel superhero movies and animated projects to DVD and would also allow Disney to cross-promote Disney DVD's with Marvel DVD's.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I never, ever said Disney acquired Marvel for the back catalogue. Not once. In fact, it would make no sense for them to buy Marvel when they have the rights to various series already.

All I am postulating-hoping, wishing, praying, whatever word you want to use-is that since Marvel and Disney are together now, the light bulb will go off in someone's head to start putting together sets of the old content as a tie-in to new movies. They did a couple Spider-Man discs when those movies hit; there were two X-Men compilations when those movies came out; and proper volume sets of X-Men were released as tie-ins with Wolverine. It would logical, business sense to have Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends ready for the next Spider-Man movie. A better Fantastic Four set for the reboot movie. And so on.

Likewise, I'm not saying anything about the comic books proper. I don't read them, never have and have zero interest in them. Again, this is my speculation and hope. Nothing else. I've seen no one mention the existing programs in official interviews. But with the success of the X-Men sets, someone has to be thinking about it somewhere in the chain of command.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks