What's new

Disney Blu-Ray Cases? (1 Viewer)

EdReedFan20

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know if Disney will change the way they make their 3-Disc Blu-Ray cases? I've noticed their next two Pixar releases (Monsters, Inc. and UP) consist of the Blu-Ray, the DVD, and the Digital Copy (as many of their recent releases have). I currently have the Narnia 3-Disc set and it's much larger than my typical cases. However, I also have 3-Disk copy of The Dark Knight from Warner Bros. who intelligently created a way to keep the 3-Disc set the same size as a typical Blu-Ray case. I really wish Disney would use this type of case, because I want my Pixar collection to be consistent. Is this something Disney can and will do, or does Warner Bros. hold the rights to do it?

Also (sort of off topic), The Warner Bros. 3-Disc case looks like it could be easily modified to include a fourth disc. They'd just need to get rid of those arms which are designed to hold those rarely used insert booklets. I say this, because Warner Bros. is apparently handling the release of The Lord of the Rings Blu-Rays and the extended editions could use that design.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hi Ed!

Welcome to the forum.

Hard question to answer. I would think that the studio has
made a conscious choice on the type of case that suits their
needs best. I don't think Warner holds rights to any particular
case, that just happens to be a decision they went with.

The great thing about this forum is that the studios do read
your comments and perhaps if enough people feel the same
way you do there may be a re-thinking by Disney about the
types of cases they use.

I do have to tell you, these type of changes don't come easily.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein

Hi Ed!

Welcome to the forum.

Hard question to answer. I would think that the studio has
made a conscious choice on the type of case that suits their
needs best. I don't think Warner holds rights to any particular
case, that just happens to be a decision they went with.

The great thing about this forum is that the studios do read
your comments and perhaps if enough people feel the same
way you do there may be a re-thinking by Disney about the
types of cases they use.

I do have to tell you, these type of changes don't come easily.
I just wish EVERY studio who uses them would stop this Digital Copy waste. I tossed out the one which was in The Dark Knight and moved the discs over to a 2-disc case.

EdReedFan20

Stunt Coordinator
Apparently next year all Blu-Ray discs will have the ability to copy the movie onto a device of your choice. Won't this would make the Digital Copy discs pointless? If Digital Copy discs are still used, they should be packed outside of the movie case.
Do you think a 4 disc set would work, according to the design I described?

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Originally Posted by EdReedFan20

Apparently next year all Blu-Ray discs will have the ability to copy the movie onto a device of your choice. Won't this would make the Digital Copy discs pointless? If Digital Copy discs are still used, they should be packed outside of the movie case.
Do you think a 4 disc set would work, according to the design I described?
Digital Copy shouldn't even exist. What a waste of disc replication.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Just for the record, again, because you're repeating that specific opinion again (twice): a lot of members here have expressed their happiness with the digital copies and make good use of it.

Cees

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Originally Posted by Cees Alons /forum/thread/291432/disney-blu-ray-cases#post_3594447

EdReedFan20

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, UP's going to have four discs. I wonder how big the case is going to be. However, I do like the fact that the DVD is included. For whatever reason my family would rather watch a DVD on our 27 inch TV in the family room, than on my PS3 in the basement on a 42 inch 1080P HDTV with 5.1 surround sound. It makes no sense.

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
Originally Posted by EdReedFan20

Wow, UP's going to have four discs. I wonder how big the case is going to be.
Probably the same size as WALL-E (which is the same size as the four-disc Die Hard Collection, just without the latter's fourth disc hub in the front).

mgdvd0

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
michael
Where is tripple and quad cases like these available for the public to buy ???

http://www.amaray.com/cases_rt-twintray.asp

IF these cases are available to the consumers then we can easily "shift-over" and it dosent matter what packaging the studios come up with -
a good example is the cardboard sleeves used on battlestar galactica - following the advice from Digital bits they now have a much better future on the shelf :D

but back to the original question - blu - tripple and quad cases for the consumer ?
http://www.amaray.com/cases_rt-twintray.asp

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure if this will help since it looks like more of a wholesaler, but so it's one of the only sources that might sell these at all. I guess if you got a group together for a bulk buy it might work and enough people are around so that it may be possible. The online source is out of Australia so shipping makes it even tougher. The cases appear to be the standard Viva cases so that should match the current available cases.

www.brackley-industries.com/products/media-packaging-solutions

There was another Aussie site that would sell somewhat smaller quantities, but apparently only ships Express so they can use tracking and that is pretty expensive unless you do quantities.

www.pcx.com.au/products/detail.asp

So far I can't find any North American sites selling 3+ disc cases in any quantity. I'm somewhat shocked that even Ebay is empty.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks