Disney and Lions Gate for HD DVD? Petition

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Rob_HD, May 25, 2006.

1. Rob_HD

Rob_HD Stunt Coordinator

Someone put just these petitions online at AVS to get Disney and Lions Gate to start releasing HD DVD movies. Everyone should sign these and spread to other sites you visit!

I signed the petitions also, but you should really read the letters, as I didn't realize that Bluray Single layer discs are being crippled to 20 gigs because they are having problems. I thought they were only having problems with Double Layer.

I think these letters perfectly sum up the problems we've been hearing about with Bluray.

Disney http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/193126108

Lions Gate http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/665800521

2. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

Rob,
    Maybe you would want to try posting this in the HD Software Forum.
    And... "DUCK"!!!

3. PeterTHX

PeterTHX Cinematographer

Petition to BOYCOTT HD DVD and END this format war.

Petition Universal to get their act together and stop being the only studio not to support Blu-ray Disc.

4. Shawn Perron

Shawn Perron Supporting Actor

Haha, the funniest part of those petitions is that they bother to try and explain to Disney what the current situation with the formats is. I'm sure that the major studios know far more then the people petitioning about the current status of both the formats. I'm sure that Disney has access to sales numbers and any other info they may need to make an informed decision.

If I were to make a petition, I'd just give a basic "Put out movies on HD-DVD so we can buy them." statement. Giving people at Disney things to argue with and possibly laugh at probably won't help the cause.

5. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Agreed on both

6. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Aside from the whole ‘teaching your grandmother to suck eggs’ tone of the petetion, I suggest that much of this has no basis in fact (as in point 5) and is merely rumor gathering.

7. Austan

Austan Second Unit

The only pepition that would make sense is if all 7500 Toshiba HD-A1 owners signed it... If you dont have a player, how can you peption for media release?

May 17, 2006 http://gear.ign.com/articles/709/709082p1.html
    "The most recent sales figures show that Toshiba has only sold a worldwide total of 7,500 HD-A1 units (1,500 in Japan, 6,000 in the US)"

8. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    Or, maybe a petition for Toshiba to release more players. If I was inclined to actually purchase a player, I'd have a very hard time finding one. When I asked at Best Buy just yesterday when they'd get more players in, he just shrugged his shoulders and said he'd heard so many different dates he didn't know what to believe any more.

9. Daniel-M

Daniel-M Second Unit

Taht it is impossible to make Blu-Ray/DVD hybrid means i support Blu-RAY even more

10. Lew Crippen

Impossible, unlikely and not happening in the near future are very different things.

Technically I can see no reason why hybrid players cannot be manufactured. I suggest that impossible is a bit of an overstatement.

11. PeterTHX

PeterTHX Cinematographer

People forget that Blu-ray Disc is more than Sony. Panasonic is too, and apparently they will not allow a Blu-ray license to anyone offering a combo player.

12. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

More releases for both formats is welcome IMO, and let the technology stand on its own merits.Not hearsay (re: 20GB yields).

13. Lew Crippen

That might well be true Peter. No doubt I was not clear, but when I wrote ‘technical’, I meant in an engineering and manufacturing sense, not a legal one.

I’m not a lawyer, but might that not be ‘restraint of trade’? Perhaps some lawyer knows the answer.

14. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I'm gonna start a petition to get them to put out new movies on CED videodisc. [​IMG]

15. Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger Supporting Actor

It will all come together eventually with all studios supporting both formats. Fox and Disney are not going to want to cut off a potential market segment once HD DVD really starts rolling. Also, combo players will make it all moot. Tell that to LG as they have a press release on their site saying they plan to have a combo player out by fall.

Also tell it to Chinese manufacturers who don't give a crap and put out what we as the consumer want.

Besides, I dont want a BR and HD DVD box, I only have 1 DVI input on my TV, and I really dont feel like getting an HDMI switcher as I am not yet ready to upgrade my sound receiver yet.

Found the linkage,

http://www.lge.com/about/press_archive/detail/AB_NARCH|MENU_1_20098.jhtml

All of their press pages are currently down in the archive, but when it comes back the story should be there. I simply searched for HD DVD in the search box on LGE.com

This was the headline next to the link above "2. LG :: LG to deliver dual-format HD DVD/Blu-ray [ New Window]"

Sorry to rain on your anti HD DVD parade there, Peter. But a combo player will come. The market demands it. SOMEONE will deliver.

16. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

17. PeterTHX

PeterTHX Cinematographer

You mean, they don't give a crap by MAKING crap. I shudder whenever I see an electronic device labeled "Made in China".

18. PeterTHX

PeterTHX Cinematographer

Unlikely.
    Sony doesn't have to support DVD-Audio (and never did), Panasonic never supported SACD.

Microsoft, for all their government troubles, was never ordered to add competitor software to their OS.

If Panasonic wants to deny a competitor a license for a product using their intellectual property it may be legal.

Of course, doesn't all this fall under Japanese law anyway?

19. Lew Crippen

I think that there is a difference between not supporting a format (such as in your examples) and refusing to grant another manufacturer a license for a technology that they want to support.

Of course it is true that Apple briefly allowed a clone and then rejected the idea, so probably one can deny licenses to produce proprietary technology. But I don’t know how selective one can be.

But the more I think about it, the more I think you are correct (though not in your examples).

Japanese law applies in Japan.

US law applies in the States.

20. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Where were the combo Beta/VHS Players and where were the Combo DVD/Divx players? Alot of people who were afraid to chose probably would have liked to see those as well. If a Combo player could come out that easy then we wouldn't have a format war to begin with and I wouldn't give 2 cents for anything made by LG and I would be surprised if it ever worked correctly if it did come out.