What's new

Disney´s Enhanced for Home Theater 5.1 DD mix = DTS? In R4, it is... (2 Viewers)

David Sal

Stunt Coordinator
David, the DTS is in english as stated by Sergio. The Spanish edition should be available on big spanish markets in us like Florida, NY, LA etc. I'm from Puerto Rico.

David Sal

Stunt Coordinator
By the way, this is the first dvd ever (that I recall) that uses alternate language subtitles for the commentary!!! I can hear the commentary with subs or watch the movie with "text commentary" Nice!!!

Sergio Martorel

Second Unit
A bunch of DVDs released in Brazil have portuguese subtitles for the commentaries. From the top of my head I can remember Gladiator, Jackie Chan´s Police Story (although the guy who did the translation managed to screw up ALL the chinese names) and Charlie´s Angels.

Rick Blaine

Stunt Coordinator
To address an earlier issue

quote:
Why the hell didn't Disney use DTS for the enhanced track in Region 1 anyway??

And I don´t think it was for lack of disk space.
---
Actually the issue is throughput - not disk space.
With 2 448 DD 5.1 tracks, 1 384 DD 5.1 FrCan, 3 commentaries,and God knows what else the 10MBs bandwidth is pretty full, certainly no room to DTS.

also
direct comparisons on foreign tracks will be difficult. All the foreign HTE mixes are done in the different languages, and unless there is an enhanced mix on the Latin American or Japanese discs, you are dealing with a pitch issue in PAL.

It would be nice if Disney would release a Special DTS edition of the enhanced mix at full bitrate!!!

Rick

AlexBC

Second Unit
It's the trade off for the DTS track, the R4 Brz and R3 Korea (and I believe the R2 as well) drop the French DD 5.1 and 2 comentary tracks for the DTS.

I would trade a commentary track or any other extra, for what it's worth, on a DTS track anyday (if its full bitrate, it wouldn't take more than a heartbit)

also direct comparisons on foreign tracks will be difficult. All the foreign HTE mixes are done in the different languages, and unless there is an enhanced mix on the Latin American or Japanese discs, you are dealing with a pitch issue in PAL.
Please don't take me wrong, I don't want to be rude, but haven't you been reading the thread? The R4 Brz, R3 Korea (and I belive the R2 Jpn) all have the HTE DTS mix in English and are NTSC, so they suffer from no speedup.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Do you have any information regarding how WB may have applied/not applied any such processing or flagging to the DD vs DTS on those titles?
David,
on all the 5 titles dialnorm was "bypassed" and DD tracks were encoded at 448kbps,which as you know still not the norm for WB.This was done in the recommendation of Dolby[!],which makes me believe that WB wanted to eliminate any possible differences besides the obvious codec efficiency.
All encoding was done by either inhouse or by the same vendor[not DTS or Dolby],so there can't be any chance for altering for any tracks.Now why WB choose these titles,I have no clue.

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
Now why WB choose these titles,I have no clue.
Simply to test the waters with releasing DTS titles. They didn't sell as well as was hoped, hence no further DTS titles from Warner Home Video. (Morgan Creek, and music releases aside)

Unscientifically comparing Dolby to DTS on Twister.. Not much in it at all. And we're talking about a HT demo, highly active, violent surround mix. Interview with the Vampire, again, little, if any difference. Mostly, it's a subtle, and interesting mix. (Of course, I will bow to superior knowledge, and proper comparative efforts.)

How often do audio encoders improve their efficiency and quality with respective bitrates? By this I mean, new versions of Dolby or DTS coders, with improvements to the encoding schemes.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
How often do audio encoders improve their efficiency and quality with respective bitrates?
So far only DTS did such with their "half bit rate" encoder debuted on SPR,[also their music "format" 96/24 is recent].However it may take less room then it's predecessor,but it's efficiency since it's a perceptual coding is largely debatable.
Dolby seems to aim higher[bitrate] to it's current limit of 640kbps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks