What's new

Dishwasher isn't working right - advice? (1 Viewer)

Derek Bang

Stunt Coordinator
Have yet to find a forum for appliance problems/repair. My dishwasher has been leaving chalky residue and various scratchy particles on my dishes for months. When I use vinegar each time I run it, it really helps. I've tried several different detergents to no avail. Plus, it used to work fine with the same detergent I've always used. I checked the draining grate, cleaned it out, and it looked fine. Now the thing is rattling for an unknown reason. It's an 8 year old whirlpool. They are cheap enough to just buy a new one. However, I'd hate to buy a new one if I don't need to (more bucks for HT stuff!). Any suggestions on how to fix what I've got, or if I need to get a new one, what brands/features are essential?
Thanks!

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
I can't offer advice on the rattling, but it sounds like you have hard water problems (with the chalky residue and all). Have you tried adding a rinsing agent to the little hole in the door for rinsing agents? They usually help the water to sheet off the dishes better so when it dries up the minerals aren't left behind. Or you can also try turning off the heat drying and just let them drip dry. The dishes will come out with a little water on them, but it might stop the chalky buildup.
------------------
Bill
biggrin.gif

mickey31.gif

Derek Bang

Stunt Coordinator
The vinegar actually works better than the rinsing agent on the chalky build up. However, I never used to need anything for it... Guess I should check with the water company. I don't use the heated dry option either... Thanks for your thoughts...

BryanZ

Screenwriter
If it is rattling, that would seem to indicate a loose fan or screw or other part. You now have three options:
1. Tear it apart and fix whatevers loose.
2. Buy a new dishwasher and donate the one you presently have to Junkyard Wars.
3. Use a healthy dose of c-4 on it. (Make sure you do this away from the house.
wink.gif
)

Kyle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kyle
"Re: Dishwasher isn't working right - advice?"
Yeah, fire her!
biggrin.gif

------------------
Kyle-
52 dvds so far

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Derek,
Head over to doityourself.com and click on the forum.
Lots of helpful/knowledgable people.
(much more so than here :))
Good luck,
Jon
------------------
"This one goes to eleven."
Nigel Tufnel

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I feel your pain. My dishwasher's been on it's last legs for 3 years.
In that time I've spent several thousand dollars on HT gear, but can't bring myself to give Sears $400 for a new dishwasher--says something about my priorities, I guess.
------------------
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks