What's new

DISH Free upgrades - Worth it? (1 Viewer)

JohnGoggan

Stunt Coordinator
Any news on when Dish is going to broadcast ABC & NBC HD?
Well, I believe the problem is more with getting the feed to Dish as opposed to Dish carrying it. Plus, even if it was available, you'd have to qualify for it. To get CBS-HD now, as was mentioned above, you either have to be in a CBS O&O DMA (with no other nearby CBS broadcaster) or be eligible for the CBS distant network feeds (i.e. because you live in a "white area" that can't get CBS with an antenna).

Unless SHVIA changes are made, I think this problem will only get worse, not better -- for the short-term, at least.

There are no locals currently uplinking HD to Dish (i.e. distant network CBS-HD is pretty much it for the big four)...

As for DirecTV, I believe that they are in the same boat when it comes to network HDs, but don't know that for certain.

- John...

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As for DirecTV, I believe that they are in the same boat when it comes to network HDs, but don't know that for certain.
They have already announced that they will carry CBS HD before the Superbowl. The same O&O DMA rules apply. Right after the CBS announcement they announced that they would carry Fox ED (widescreen) soon. O&O DMA rules apply but they are in different cities. I will qualify to receive Fox when they are carried but not CBS.

-Robert

JohnGoggan

Stunt Coordinator
O&O DMA rules apply but they are in different cities.
Hmmm... I'm confused how that could be. A station is either O&O by CBS or it isn't. It is a specific list of 18 (I believe) stations in the US. I don't understand how it could be "different cities." The DMA boundries are the same, of course.

In any case, looks like DirecTV and Dish are the same then when it comes to CBS-HD -- and that the only near-HD difference is that DirecTV will have Fox ED via distants soon.

I qualify for Fox distants already... That'd be awesome if DIsh added Fox ED... Hmmm... Time to make some suggestions. :)

- John...

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Fox's O&O DMAs are in different cities than CBS's O&O DMAs. I could have explained it a little better.

-Robert

JohnGoggan

Stunt Coordinator
Oh! Of course! heh. Sorry about that -- I was confused between you meaning Fox and CBS. All makes sense now.

I've asked some people that usually know about FOX-ED over Dish. I'm curious if Dish has any official statement about it that I may have missed. I'll let you know what I hear.

- John...

David_Jr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Got the dvr510 hooked up last night :) this thing is sweeeeet! Remind me again what a vcr is? Pausing live tv is adictive...snacks, bathroom, telephone, nothing stops you from seeing the whole show. Commercials are a thing of the past.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks