What's new

Dish 6000 OTA HD Signal Strength Question (1 Viewer)

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Finally, PBS has started to broadcast a HD feed. Unfortunately my 6000 will not lock on because the signal strength is only 75-80. How much signal do you need for the 6000 to lock on?
Gregg

TimothyP

Grip
My local PBS affiliate is 35-40 miles away. Though my signal strength reads only 46 to 70 (at most), the 6000 consistently locks in. It usually takes about 15 seconds before the picture is locked. During this time, the picture pixelates, repeatedly freezes, and blacks out. Once locked, however, it remains fine ever after.
Tim

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
So what Im I doing wrong then?
I select DTV and then enter channel 17, it indicates the signal strength but also states "not locked on".
Help!!

Brian M Kuss

Auditioning
Is it a consistent signal? My 6000 will lock on a signal over about 50, but when WGN started brodcasting here I had a problem locking on because the signal seemed like it was on for a second then off for a second, etc. My signal strength would vary from 70-80 then drop to 0 and I couldn't get a lock on anything.
Can you lock onto any other channels? If you're getting a consistent reading of 70-80 and it's not locking on there may be a problem with your unit.
Brian
------------------
My HT Website | My Equipment List

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Thanks Brian, the signal is constant between 75-80 but no lock. It is the only HD signal in the area. Not even sure if the TV station is active with it yet. I will call the station first then call DishNetwork.
Frustrated,
Gregg
------------------
The Sonodome
Gregg's DVDs
Link Removed
The Family Units

Timmy

Stunt Coordinator
Gregg, my local Fox DTV station has never sent a "picture"; just broadcasting a blank screen instead (despite great signal strength).
I am curious about your PBS DTV transmissions; are these on a different channel number that their normal one?
------------------

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Hi!
The HD stations are on different channels from their analog
counterparts.
I set the Dish 6000 to channel 17 (that is what the PBS web site says it is broadcasting on) and it gave me a signal strength of 78 +/- 2, then locked on in about 10 seconds. It then (for some reason??) selected channel 70 to put it on. I have NO idea why it does this but channel 70 looks spectacular!! Now I just hope that I will get a couple of other stations in HD over the next year or so. :)
Gregg
------------------
The Sonodome
The Newest Sonotube
Gregg's DVDs
Link Removed
The Family Units

Users who are viewing this thread