Discussion on XM vs. SIRIUS article

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones / Entertainment' started by Ronald Epstein, Dec 3, 2003.

1. David-S

David-S Second Unit

There's an article on Siriusbackstage that Joe Clayton said there will be programming changes in January, and they will likely be targeting the "boomer" audience...[​IMG]

err, baby-boomer that is...

2. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    The only formats I know of that XM has exclusives on are the 90's, Family Comedy, and Cinemagic, so I'm guessing it's one of those. Or all three. If I had to guess, I would say at least two of those will be added.

3. Diallo B

Diallo B Screenwriter

thanks ron!

4. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

5. Rob_Pierce

Rob_Pierce Second Unit

6. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Excellent. Thanks for the info.

7. ScottCarr

ScottCarr Second Unit

I think one thing we need to keep in mind is regardless of which service we provide if one fails the other may not survive either.

If Sirius fails I would be willing to bet XM would fill more of the programming time with commercials.

If XM failed Sirius would in turn introduce commercials to the point of a little better than FM.

If both are healthy XM will be very proactive in minimizing commercials while Sirius focuses on improving content which some say is lagging of XM, do not know never experienced XM.

This technology is still very young and the concept of paying for radio is a little un-welcomed in many peoples mind.

The concept of no commercials is what put Sirius in my truck. My CD player is used rarely, AM is used more since Sirius moved in.

Satellite radio great concept, no commercials even better. Either way if both are around we as end users will be better off. If not it might turn into what cable TV has evolved into.

Enjoy

8. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard
    I know the programming is going to get better. They will introduce two or three new channels at CES, so keep a heads up. I also just remembered that XM has a Christian Rock channel, Sirius does not.

9. ScottCarr

ScottCarr Second Unit

Check out Channel 10 on Sirius I believe its name is Spirit.

If it not Christain rock then I am not sure what it is, Not being of that belief it surely seems as if the word Jesus or Lord is in every song.

They do have some good songs on there.

10. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

11. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Scott,

I think he was talking about the fact that XM has a Christian Pop (Fish) and a Christian Rock (Torch) station, while Sirius just has Spirit (Which I assume is more toward the "pop" end of the spectrum...)

Jason

12. David-S

David-S Second Unit

13. ScottCarr

ScottCarr Second Unit

Jason,

I would not be able to tell the difference between Christain pop from Christain rock, sorry.

To be honest I am suprised and at the same time happy to hear there is such a variety. After all music is really about story telling and delivering messages.

Scott

14. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard
    Can you tell the difference between regular "Pop" and regular "Rock"? It's the same with Christian Pop and Rock.

There is also Christian Hard Rock, Christian Metal, Christian Punk Rock, Christian Rap, Christian Ska, and so on.

15. Dick W

Dick W Auditioning

Great article. I'm surprised there is not more on the comparison of these two services. Like you, I currently have both (I was an Xm customer and recently got a new Kenwood auto radio with a free Sirius tuner). So far, I like the commercial free service but I, too have reservations. As a Classical fan, I've been frustrated that their Classical streams display the name of the composition and usually, the artist; but not the composer. This is a deal killer for a Classical fan if they don't get it fixed.

As for the pricing premium, I just read that Xm is converting their streams to non-commercial. It will be hard to justify the extra cost, all else being equal. Sirius is coming up with some new channels and some pretty sophisticated data services on Jan 19th. Not much for the Classical fan, but some of the issues you addresses are apparently being taken care of. Sirius is fully digital feed, whereas Xm uses several repurposed FM station channels, which probably accounts for some of the quality differences, although I doubt it makes much difference in a car environment. If you have a broadband Internet connection, Sirius let's you listen on your computer (maybe Xm does as well, I don't know). I think the free tuner promo has ramped their numbers to the point where Xm has responded. I have noticed some dropouts as you did. I think their coverage might not be as robust as Xm, but the quality on my Kenwood X569 is great. As for the talk channels, I notice that they are sharing the Conservative channel with occasional Sports events. Might point up their political bias. They also have a channel for Catholics and one for Gays/Lesbians, but not much morally in between. Like you, I've noticed that their programming is a bit weird and I don't know why they need all the promos when I am already a customer. I guess they like to use their new studios. Frankly, I'd be satisfied with NO TALK on the music channels and no music on the talk channels. They tell me they are out of the woods financially after their year end promo blitz and they seem to have levelled the playing field on hardware and OEM auto selection. I'm sure it will be interesting now that Xm is apparenly offering the same non-commercial venues at no increase in price. Ain't competition fun?

16. David-S

David-S Second Unit

17. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer