Discsox . . . and what to do with all those extra Amaray cases?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Tom Koegel, Dec 1, 2003.

1. Tom Koegel

Tom Koegel Stunt Coordinator

Well, due to the impending risk of divorce proceedings due to my overflowing DVD collection, I've finally decided to convert the whole darn thing to Discsox. (Vinyl sleeves with slots for cover art.) My original plan was to throw all the plastic cases (Amarays?) down into the basement. But having gone through the process of conversion--well, I'm at least up to the titles beginning with "F"--I now think it is silly to keep all that plastic lying around. But it would kill me to throw these things out, and I think all that supposedly recyclable "5" grade polypropylene is in fact nothing but fodder for the landfill. Anybody got any ideas on what I might do with all this stuff?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Tom

2. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    Sell 'em to your local video store.[​IMG]

3. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Or sell them in custom cheap bundles to people looking to replace their snappers...

4. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Put them on Ebay.

5. Ken Cline

Ken Cline Stunt Coordinator

Tom,

Why not use the Nexpak thinpaks? They're cheaper than the Discsox, plus I think the discs would be safer.

-Ken

6. Bingo

Bingo Stunt Coordinator

Hold on to them until HD-DVD comes out and you want to sell your current collection with the original packaging! [​IMG]

7. Tom Koegel

Tom Koegel Stunt Coordinator

Thanks, all, for the suggestions. I'm halfway hoping some SF Bay Area HTF member is going to post and say that he'll take all of them off my hands. I'm frankly too lazy to go through the process of selling them on eBay, even if someone could be found that wanted the, well, LARGE number of cases that I am generating here. (Actual number of discs withheld in case spouse uses Google to find this post and figure out how many we really have.[​IMG])

And Stephen, the possibility of HD-DVD in the distant future is actually one of the reasons I was thinking about saving them. But I'm telling myself that I'm not going to go hog wild with HD-DVD the way I did with DVD.[​IMG]

Ken, as to Nexpaks, I hadn't really studied them but don't think that they would have given me the kind of compression of storage space that the Discsox do. I also like the transportability factor when we go on vacation--easier to grab a couple dozen discs. But I agree that the packaging is not as protective as a hard case.

8. Nick T Robot

Nick T Robot Supporting Actor

I wish I lived closer to you. I'd take them off your hands...