What's new

Disappointed with XM 80's channel (1 Viewer)

CalvinC

Stunt Coordinator
I know that I'm cheesy listening to 80's music but I do like the music. Now having XM through Directv I really must say that I have been disappointed with the 80's channel. The music selection is better than the local fm station. However I have tuned in on the channel several different evenings and all they play is the dance mix of the songs. I hate the dance mix. To me I want to hear the original version of the song the way the artist intended it. Plus they don't list the name of the song or artist, I just see something like 80's Soundtrack. Just the other night there was a song I hadn't heard in several years and couldn't remember the name. I also think they did this on the country station.

Brent T

Second Unit
Sirius plays plenty of Spandu Ballet if thats what you are looking for :)

I love the 80s as well and between 80's and first wave I get my fill of it.

Joe McCabe

Second Unit
You're probably tuning in during "ToeJam", it's a specialty show. I haven't listened to 80's at night recently, but I remember back when I did, that show would come on.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Yeah, that would be ToeJam. Back in the day, in the evenings, radio stations would do a series of dance mixes of the popular songs of the day. ToeJam just replicates that.

Jason

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Way back when we tried both, my wife, being a major 80s fan, really complained about the lack of 80s options on XM. First Wave (80s/late 70s alternative) as well as Big80s just seemed to have a rotation she liked.

The biggest negative we had was things like ToeJam - big "street mix" or "dance beats" which would go on and on and didn't really break up the eighties the way she remembered it.

To each their own, however.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
All the above are correct.

I think you just tuned in at the wrong time.

I actually like the 80s mixes because I used to
be a DJ at the time and spun a lot of those 12"
singles. Brings back a lot of memories.

I am not certain how DirecTV displays the song
titles, but normally on my XM equipment, you do
get a listing of the SONG and ARTIST.

Michael Young

Stunt Coordinator
I don't like the toejam much either. And unfortunately it seems to be on a lot. The worst part is that they don't show artist or song during the toejam.

The decades chanels have heavily improved on a whole. So if you haven't heard XM in at least 6 months, you might want to give it another try.

Random Hero

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
I'm not a ToeJam fan, either.

There's a lot of great tunes on the 80s channel, though. :)

Devin U

Second Unit

Personally, I felt it has gone the other way. When Bruce Kelly left 80's on 8 a few months ago is really when I noticed it going downhill. Now it seems like everytime I turn it to 8, ToeJam is on. I didnt listen to the dance shows back then, and I wont listen to them now. Also, 90s on 9 has slid a bit as well, but not as much as the 80s. I really liked the 90s underground weekend they did over labor day, but I havent been too impressed with the channel since then.

Johnal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Johnal
I like the music they play on ToeJam, I just can't stand that I can never see the name of the song or the artist. That bugs the $hit out of me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks