What's new

disappointed with Loudspeaker Cookbook... (1 Viewer)

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
Anthony,
try reading just the first chapters on the components of the drivers and the characteristics of different box designs. I was also intimidated at first by some of the terms but it wasn't as complicated as I first thought. I learned that I couldn't design my own speakers but the info is helpful when it comes to picking out DIY kits. Another beginner book that I found helpful is the Introduction to Loudspeaker Design by John L. Murphy

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
Jack, I shoot benchrest rifle competition...

It's so much fun when I'm practicing at a public range with one of my rifles, with it resting on the sandbags, touching it off with a fingertip to the ounce and a half trigger... Folks see that, and they see the little groups, and they tell me I'm "cheating."

So I give 'em five rounds, and tell 'em to shoot a group.

Dickason's book is NOT what I'd recommend to a beginner. I've been studying it for a while, and cross-reffing it to several other books, and asking LOTS of stupid questions, and it still intimidates the heck out of me.

My advice would be to build a simple kit, and point by point go through the book looking for the reasoning for component and crossover choices...

Then build a more complicated kit...

Then, start thinking about doing your own.

First, decide what sort of sound you want. Then you start looking at drivers, realizing that some just flat out won't work with others...

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I'm sure you could sell that Loudspeaker cookbook to somebody on this forum. :)

You could always go with a kit, except change some of the component values by like 5% and call it your own.

hehe...

Jerry Parker

Stunt Coordinator
Probably 4 years ago I checked the Loudspeaker design cookbook out from the library. I too thought it would explain everything about loudspeakers easily. Unfortunatly the same thing happened to me as happened to you. I didnt understand any of it. :frowning: So a week later I took the book back.

After that, I read a decent amount on the internet about speakers and such, and read many DIY messageboards. About a year ago, I bought the LSDC and I was able to follow it without problems.

Anyways, my point is, if you are REALLY interested in learning about speakers, just hang out around here and other messageboards and ask questions, and soon enough you will have enough knowledge to fully understand the LSDC. :emoji_thumbsup:

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Option 2. Period. If you really want to get into the design aspect, start with the two Radio Shack design books, then go to the Cookbook.

Regarding the DIY for saving money only issue, there is not a DAMN thing wrong for DIY-ing to save money. When you can build a pair of towers for $500 that rival a pair of $2995 or $39995 or $4995 commercial speakers, you should DO IT! The pride, self-satisfaction, smiles on you, your family and friends faces when they hear your babies play and see your hopefully real wood finely finished veneer, are absolutely priceless. Now, if you want to get into the DIY of system design, which requires the time, literature study, software and sweat, then that's another subject and is NOT cost effective. That's where you do it for the love of the design challenge. But back to saving money, do buy a kit or use a proven design. You will never regret it.;)

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

Like I stated...there's nothing "wrong" with that. Not a DAMN thing. As I also said...buy a kit in this case.

Travis Cain

Stunt Coordinator
Well, now that the only "grown up" has approved of option #2, I think you're set Anthony..

It's just too bad the snobby condescending attitude that some people have had to make an appearance in this thread..

I hope you don't get the wrong impression of this forum due to this thread as it is the first time in the year and a half I've been reading here that I have read posts that would make me think someone is a jerk..

Todd Shore

Stunt Coordinator
There are several good designs out there for every budget. The amount of money you save is dependent on how custom you want to get.

I really like Dennis Murphy's MB01 and MB03. They go together well, use well respected drivers (though not high end), and have highly praised crossovers and voicing.

They will fit into finished Parts Express cabinets if you aren't a carpenter. Or you can go with a slightly different design but similar quality, pay the money, and get some beautiful looking speakers from Jim Salk.

But if you want to do it yourself you can just buy the parts, build, paint or veneer your cabinets, solder the crossovers, fit your cups, etc. You will learn a lot. What I like about this design is that you then have the option open to add matched bass boxes with a crossover modification.

But everybody is right. Unless you can wait to get your speakers 2-3 years from now, build a kit. It will take you that long to learn what is necessary to "save money".

Todd Shore

Stunt Coordinator
Jack might have come across as short or impatient, so maybe he shouldn't have posted and instead saved himself the aggravation. But, Jack has been around a long time, has built some really NICE subwoofers, shared that knowledge with the community, and has helped several generations of newbies.

Hey newbies. Google is your friend. Yahoo is nice, too. ;)

Speaker Glossaries

Audio Theory

DIY Speakers

If a site looks good, follow its links. Read the Parts Express and Madisound forums daily as well as here.

You will probably be ready to build some nice speakers When you understand what is bulls***, what isn't, and why.

Anthony*B

Stunt Coordinator
i sincerely thank everyone for the help....it looks like I'm definitely going for a kit (i would love to do the Adire 281's) when I can scrape the $ together! I am excited! a little nervous too (especially on doing a crossover...i've never soldered anything in my life)! should be worth it in the end, definitely!

Todd Shore

Stunt Coordinator
I put together one of the BR-1 kits last year. I did it as a favor for a kid that was going away to college and needed something fast. Excellent value, strong bass, and they are well supported by PE.

They aren't the most detailed speaker, but those cheap 2-ways are better than a lot of the speakers at the chain stores that run $200-300 each. It gives one something to start tinkering with for very little investment.

Todd Shore

Stunt Coordinator
You are more than welcome, Jack. Your projects taught me a lot about bass design and have helped sort out a lot of my other reading over the years.

Over 5000 posts, eh? :D Over the years I've probably read most of them.

I was lucky when I started. Mark Seaton saw my first post about building a DIY center on another forum over 3 years ago and he set me straight about a lot of things. Kindly, but firmly.

Between well educated young men and experienced older ones I have learned a lot. The first thing I learned was not to make a fool out of myself, so I don't post much. ;)

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

Same here. Whatever I've learned about this stuff, I think I've learned the most from Mark. The most lucid explanations I've read.

Todd Shore

Stunt Coordinator
Yep. Many a time I've come into a long thread that is starting to get away from fact and I think "Mark needs to post here" and then he does. Everyone gets it and the thread moves on. He is a smart young man, educated, and is exposed to some really good brains and experience. Always a pleasure to read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks