Disappointed with Fry's

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Carl Johnson, May 7, 2006.

1. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer
    Supporter

Carl III
    Yesterday I was in Fishers Indiana with some time to kill so I stopped by Fry's Electronics. The visit was disappointing. While there was lots of nice equipment in the store the presentation was as bad as I've ever seen.
    I've been thinking about upgrading the sound system in my truck so the first stop was the automotive department. I like my music loud but the stuff that they were blasting was borderline painful. On top of that the store didn't have the decency to play a CD or satellite station, it was FM radio with more static than music. Most automotive audio installation departments have a computer that matches the available speakers and head units with particular vehicles but there wasn't one at Fry's.
    My next stop was the television department. None of the displays were properly calibrated. The Matrix Revolutions was being played on a $6700 1080P set and the picture was so pixelated that it looked worse than the cheapest standard definition projection set in the store.
    How do these people stay in business selling multi thousand dollar televisions and sound systems without putting any effort into displaying them properly?

2. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Good question- I've given up on judging equipment based on how it looks in the store, you have to be able to take it home and make sure you've got everything set up perfectly. I still wonder what sort of people work at an electronics store and don't care about what they're selling though.

I remember about 10 years ago I went into a Good Guys store looking at the Mitsubishi TVs there, this was after I had just gotten my own and I wanted to compare some things with the related models. The TVs there were set to the default settings, so I set the brightness, contrast, sharpness and color properly. I even brought up the service menu to reduce the sharpness more than the regular controls let you. A few minutes later this family comes by with a salesman, and he proceeds to crank up the contrast again! He then left while the family kept looking at the TVs, so I told them that these were good TVs and they should get one, but not from this store because that salesguy was an idiot! Before I left, I brought up another service menu control that allowed me to disable all the front panel controls [​IMG]

3. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    One of the bad things about moving from San Jose to Boise was that there weren't any Fry's store here....

Then again, one of the GOOD things about moving here was the lack of any Fry's stores.

4. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

I know exactly what you mean... [​IMG]

5. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

I've been mostly unimpressed with the Fry's that opened here in IL.

The only thing they are really useful for is finding catalog DVD titles that no one else bothers to stock Not only do they carry them, but they replenish them too.

But their staff are the most apathetic bunch I've seen. I view it as a self-service store.

Four major annoyances:

A) They don't take Amex, my preferred card since you pay at the end of the month in full and you get good reward points.

B) The ridiculous "check every bag" policy instead of using magnetized security like other big retailers.

C) They put their price stickers on slipcases. They are of course the non-removable type.

D) Their DVD's are poorly organized. I can remember seeing Dead Zone S1 in TV, S2 in Drama and S3 in Action.