What's new

Dirty interconnect cables??? (1 Viewer)

BrettHem

Auditioning
I recently added a new HD Sat receiver and decided it was a good time to pull my components off the rack and do some house cleaning.

I disconnected the interconnect (audio-quest viper) between my rotel 1066 and 1075 amp. The 5 cables on the amp side were very clean and looked new. All 5 channels connected to the 1066 processor are quite dirty. It almost looks like rust.
What does this mean? How do I clean? How did this happen? Do i need to replace or call my local store for replacement?

Thanks for the help,
Brett

MikeTz

Stunt Coordinator
For connector cleaning, deoxidizing, and protection try the Caig cleaning products (DeOxit and ProGold).

MT

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Hard to say. Could be copper. A quick test if its a copper salt is to scrape a little into a small container and add a bit of ammonia. If it turns blue you've got copper. You haven't said though if the connector on the cable is clean or shows evidence of mechanical deterioration.

Mike's suggestion for cleaning is a good one. You can use q-tips, pipe cleaners, or these foam swab heads to get inside. As to how it happened, that's a tough one. If you've been inserting/reinserting frequently, then you may simply have worn away the gold or whatever coating there is. Sometimes the plugs fit very tightly and it doesn't take much effort to knock off a 10 mil overcoat. If the unit is under warranty, I'd contact them and see what they say. Its not difficult to replace and if you're electrically inclined you could do it. Otherwise expect to see a fairly substantial labor charge plus marked up replacement part costs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks