What's new

Dirty Harry from Warner on 6/3/08 (1 Viewer)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Didn't see it mentioned here. The Digital Bits is reporting a Blu-ray release on 6/3/08. We knew it was around the corner, but it's nice to have a date.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I initially got excited, and then realized I have never watched any of these films since I got the WB DVD box set
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
. I think I will wait a while before I upgrade. There will be enough new titles to buy, so unless there are a lot of great sales I will be doing fewer format double dips...

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Well for me catalog titles like this get me way more excited than 95% of new films that come out.

I wonder if these will be available individually. If so I might just opt for Dirty Harry, Magnum Force and Sudden Impact which are the best of the bunch to me. If not then I'll still get the set.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I can't make up my mind about this set. I've seen Dirty Harry and The Dead Pool. I think I've seen Sudden Impact, but I don't think I've seen Magnum Force and The Enforcer. I can't say any of them were particularly memorable, although I realize Dirty Harry was pretty cutting edge for its time. I guess I'll bite if I can find a really good deal.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Dirty Harry, Magnum Force and Sudden Impact are the best of the bunch. The Enforcer isn't bad (although Tyne Daly REALLY gets on my nerves), and The Dead Pool is only worth seeing for Liam Neeson and Jim Carrey in early roles.

Gary Murrell

Supporting Actor
Magnum Force is a true classic 70's cop film, written by John Milius with amazing cinemascope images, whats not to like? :)

they are all superb in my book with the Dead Pool being the least obviously

-Gary

Carter of Mars

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Carter
Hopefully Warners will see fit to include the original mono tracks on the earlier films.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Dirty Harry is a film that kind of special to me. I remember seeing in the theaters as a kid and have always loved it.

There was a thread in the movie section awhile with people debating whether Callihan was a fascist or not that was kind of amusing. I really consider it to be a minor masterpiece.

I enjoyed Magnum Force, but to me its not in DHs league. A HD disc is a must own for me.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I think the biggest problem I am having with this release is that there is not an option to buy them separately. Yet. I'm sure there will be eventually. So, again, if I can find a crazy good deal on the boxset, I'll pick them all up. Otherwise, I'll probably only pick up the first movie.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I am so all over the Dirty Harry Box set on Blu-ray! :D :emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

I also can not wait for the Clint Eastwood westerns to hit Blu-ray. :emoji_thumbsup:

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Home Media Magazine has an article on this release in the 3/9/08 issue. Right now, it looks like a 5-disc set for $129.95, and a "coffee book" edition of the first film individually for $34.99 (similar to the upcoming Bonnie & Clyde). No word on individual releases of the other films (or a non-coffee book individual release on the first film). It's worth noting that there are individual releases of each film coming to DVD.

Also, the article mentions that Warner plans on doing this "coffee book" packaging for ~10 titles over the next year to help promote Blu-ray Disc. Future releases planned for this line include Woodstock, Harry Potter films, Blade Runner, Gone with the Wind, and North by Northwest.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
While this 'coffee book' is an interesting idea, I fear it is simply a way to gouge the enthusiast. I would like to have the choice to buy the movie in a standard keepcase as well without the 'coffee book' and markup that goes along with it.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Fabulous! This will be mine. Even though I don't care for a couple of the films, I HAVE to have the 1st two films & apparently "Magnum Force" won't be available as a stand alone title. :crazy:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Are there any links out there that have the Blu-ray art work on what the Dirty Harry Blu-ray will look like yet? Anyone have links for the artwork yet?

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Ugh. Am I the only one that hates these digipak cases? Why is it so hard to just issue them in individual keep cases with a box?

Don't get me wrong, the hardcover book is nice, but I have no desire to own a "Wallet w/metal badge and removable laminated I.D. card" or a "Scorpio Portrait of a Killer Poster-Sized (19” x 27”) map of San Francisco detailing Harry’s hunt for the killer" for that matter.

Anyway, I've never been much for these 'value-added' extras they seem to like to throw in these box sets as a means to justify upping the MSRP. Just give me the movie in a sturdy keep case, preferably with the original one-sheet poster art. I guess I am just a 'functional' kinda guy. :)

The real 'issue' I have is there is no choice beyond this set or the book-only version of Dirty Harry like there was for Blade Runner. Therefore those who are cinephiles, but aren't into ornate packages, which I must be among the minority based upon Warner Bros. marketing decisions, are either forced to buy something they aren't totally happy with or wait in the hopes that they are released in a more conventional form later.

Anyway, sorry to grouse guys. I'm sure the Dirty Harry fans looking for everything except the kitchen sink (but including a toy badge ;)) will be very happy with the set. I sincerely mean that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks