What's new

DirecTV to 3 TVs - How do I do it? (1 Viewer)

Mark Frank

Stunt Coordinator
Question from a newbie - love the forum!

I currently have a dual-LMB dish going to my 2 DirecTV receivers on my 2 TVs.

I want to add a 3rd TV for the kids that will mostly be used for watching videos and playing video games, but also want the ability to watch DirecTV sometimes.

I "think" my options are (1) Add a 3rd receiver and share the signal with one of the other TVs, meaning that channels on those TVs would always be the same. (2) I could probably even get by with no 3rd receiver as long as I went into the next room to change channels. (3) Get a third DirecTV signal and receiver - I assume this would mean adding a second dish?

Does this sound right to everyone? Has anyone ever been through this before?

Mark Frank

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
All you need is a 3rd receiver and a multi-switch box. You can get these at any electronics store like Best Buy, Circuit City, etc..

Jeff

Mark Frank

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the quick reply Jeff!

Since I've never heard of a multi-switch, does your solution give me option (1) or (3)? Will 2 of the TVs always be on the same channel?

Mark Frank

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A multi-switch will give you option 3 without buying a new dish. Each reciever will operate independently. Here are some multi-switches. Even the cheapest will work. Just ignore the 3rd (antenna) input.
BTW, have you checked out the DirecTivos? Good prices and great features.
-Robert

Mark Frank

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the follow-up Jeff. I will definitely check one of these out shortly.

Robert, funny you should mention a DirecTivo unit. I'm currently trying to talk the spouse into letting me buy one. Since I have a computer tech background, I'd be interested in upgrading the hard drive in one of these units. Is it easy to do?

-Mark

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
Mark,
Watch out with the Tivo. I have a stand-alone Tivo. For the first 2 weeks my wife hated it. Then once she figured it out,...Wham!!!! Suddenly she took control of it and we were getting in fights about all the crap she was recording. The DirecTivos are even better since they have 2 tuners built in.
Go over to the avsforum and check out the Tivo section. It'll have all the answers you need.
http://www.avsforum.com
Jeff

Neil White

Supporting Actor
For the record, I am using the $30 180-545 unit from the Parts Express link provided by Robert_J above. Works like a dream. I am running 4 receivers and all have independant control.

N

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
I'd be interested in upgrading the hard drive in one of these units. Is it easy to do?
Quite easy. As recommended, got to the TiVo Forum (direct link) and check out the UNderground Playground section. There's a lot of info on how and what can be upgraded. Just be warned -- it's extremely addictive ;)

Mark Frank

Stunt Coordinator
Neil,

Do all four DirecTV receivers need to be plugged into phone lines?

Also, do you get charged the extra $5.99/month per receiver for the 3rd and 4th receivers when using the multi-switch? Or is DirecTV none the wiser?

-Mark

Tom C

Stunt Coordinator
The multi-switches have inputs for a dual LNB. In my situation, I am feeding one line into my son's room and the other into the living room. I picked up a DirecTV receiver with the UltimateTV. I only need to split the signal once at the receiver. Can I just feed the one line into one of these multi-switches (preferably somewhere near the $20-$25 range) and have it work properly?

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Can I just feed the one line into one of these multi-switches
No, you can't. You need to feed both LNBs into the multi-switch, and then you can route the output to individual receivers. UltimateTV requires two separate lines (as if it were two separate receivers).

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Also, do you get charged the extra $5.99/month per receiver for the 3rd and 4th receivers when using the multi-switch? Or is DirecTV none the wiser?
Yes you do. A receiver will not work unless you call and activate the smart-card with D*.

-Robert

BenS

Stunt Coordinator
Do all four DirecTV receivers need to be plugged into phone lines?
No Directv does not require you to have a phone line plugged in it is just a convienience if you want to buy programs. But, you do have to call and activate each receiver.

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
OK, let's see if we can get it straight between me and Ben :) For DirecTV to not charge you the full subscription price for each additional receiver, it has to be plugged into the same phone line as your primary receiver when you call to activate it. They will ask you to force a phone call at that time.
You can probably unplug your receiver afterwards and see what happens -- maybe they'll never ask you to plug it back in.

Neil White

Supporting Actor
My experience is this:

The instructions for the receiver and the Directv Website say the receivers must all be permanently connected to a phone line so that the secondary receivers can mirror the primary receiver (to avoid full charges). When I activated my second receiver several years ago I said it was connected to a phone line but it was not. The receiver activated just fine and I've never had a problem. When I added my third and fourth a few weeks ago, I did connect them to a phone line just while I was getting them activated. I bet I could have just said they were connected without having a problem.

Because of a few change arounds in equipment, the receiver I have registered as the primary unit with Directv is NOT connected to a phone line, one secondary receiver is and the remaining two secondaries are not. Conclusion, you do NOT need the receivers permanently connected to a phone line (unless of course, you want to do pay-per-view via the remote and not over the phone).

BTW, I was not asked to force a phone call at the time of activation.

I pay $4.99 per additional receiver I think.

N

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
BTW, I was not asked to force a phone call at the time of activation.
I guess that means that it all depends on the person you talk to there. I had some problems with activation of teh second reeciver and I had to call two or three times and each time they asked me to make a call. So much for figuring out what they'll do the next time someone calls :)

BenS

Stunt Coordinator
I said it was connected to a phone line but it was not.
That's exactly what I did and they sent the program info and know one was the wiser. I have never had any problems but my second receiver only costs $1.99 not $4.99 like Neil's. If you order ppv movies over the phone they do charge an extra $1 in my past experiences.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks