What's new

Directv HDTV TIVO? (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Scott

Second Unit
when is Directv going to come out with a HDTV reciever with TIVO on it?

I want to get HDTV but directv only has 4 channels with their package.

also, i have a jvc 36" HDTV, if i got hd, would it automatically be displayed in 16:9 or will i have to push the 16:9 botton on the remote everytime i turn on tv?

David Forbes

Supporting Actor
March is the last I heard for the HD TiVo rollout for DirecTV. I believe some boxes were just shown at CES. Check out the AVS forum for the latest info.

DirecTV has more than four channels, but some you will have to subscribe to above the HD-tier. Others should be on their way soon.

1. ESPN-HD
2. Discovery HD Theater
3. HDNet
4. HDNet Movies
5. HBO-HD
6. Showtime HD

Also, if any of your local affiliates are broadcasting HD over the air, all DirecTV HD receivers can receive OTA HD signals just by plugging an antenna into the box. That's how I receive CBS-HD, NBC-HD, PBS-HD. As soon as my ABC affiliate finishes its antenna (soon, I hope) and my local Fox station is allowed to bump up its power, I'll be able to get those too. So I have a potential of getting 11 HD channels with my DirecTV box.

However, if your local cableco offers HD, that might be a less expensive way to get in. Though I have no idea about cable boxes offering TiVo service (or something similar). I've heard some rumors but nothing concrete (though I admit I don't pay much attention to what's going on with cable because I'm too heavily invested in DirecTV). Again, the AVS Forum is probably the best place to get this kind of news.

HD should automatically be formatted for 16x9 on your TV.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Check out this thread in the HTF PVR area.

If you live in an area where CBS has an owned and operated station, you can also get CBS HD from the satellite. Current DirecTV Tivo models will only record satellite signals; not any OTA transmissions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks