What's new

Directv HD DVR HR10-250 free ! (1 Viewer)

Brent T

Second Unit
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but here we go.

I called DTV and threatened to cancel my NFL Ticket (a friend of mine suggested doing this as he got the deal before me) because of the rising costs. I went through the normal crap they put you through and then the woman said fine Mr. T we the NFL ticket is removed from your account.

WHAT !? So I hung up, called my friend and told him what happened. He explained that I would have to call back the following day and try to get ahold of someone in customer retention that "worked hard" for their customers. So I called the following day, explained exactly what happened and how my friend got this deal where he got the HR10-250 for free & free instillation as long as he signed up for the NFL Ticket.

The gentleman I had took his time with me and looked over all the deals he had till he found it and bang ! Yesterday I had my HR10-250 installed for free.
I did have to sign up for the NFL Ticket but he also gave me a 7 month payment plan for it and gave me the superfan package for free.

If you dont have the HD DVR unit yet I suggestion giving Directv a call and keep trying the customer service roulette wheel till you get someone that will give you the deal you want. Its out there to be had.

Dick White

Stunt Coordinator
Interesting. I thought DTV had replaced the HR10-250 with a non-Tivo DVR. Sounds like a pretty good deal.

I cancelled my Sunday Ticket last year because they started charging for Superfan (in addition to the typical yearly increase) after previously including HD feeds as part of the regular Sunday Ticket. They blamed it on the NFL and said there was nothing they could do about it. The best they would do was reduce the price of Superfan. So pro football is quickly fading as the last pro sport that I watch. I might be tempted with this deal, but I already have the DVR.

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
Know any way for a new customer to get in on anything like this? All they would offer me was:

$299 - HD-DVR
$69.99/mo - Sunday Ticket
$99 - Superfan
Free premier service for 4 months
Free HD package for 4 months
$10 off per month for 15 months if I have good credit (I do...)

Since we just moved, and still own our old house - the budget is tight. Any suggestions to get a better deal is appreciated.

Brent T

Second Unit
Andrew,

You can get a much better deal. My brother switched to directv and he called several times to get the best offer. He did get the HR10-250 as part of his deal (free) but he did have to sign up for 2 years and he also got the nfl ticket.

Not to dismiss the rest of the country as slackers but I have started to ask which call center I am reaching. There is one in Iowa that I always seem to have the best luck with. It sucks but playing customer service roulette is the way to go. Keep trying till you get ahold of someone who really wants to help you.

Barry_B_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Barry
Thanks for the info, Brent. We recently purchased a 50" DLP set and keep talking about how much nicer HD (or component input) would look, but not willing to give up $500 to upgrade. Having just purchased the Sunday Ticket, I'm going to give this a try tomorrow.

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
I thought D* was no longer "giving" stuff, instead going w/ a leasing model (i.e., receiver is not yours to keep)...or did they switch back?

Barry_B_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Barry
No, still a lease, which is why I never uograded my hard drive...

On a positive note, it looks like Brent found a good one here. I called today; the customer rep put me on hold to research but was back in no time to say this special is out there, part of the Early Bird package. Since we had already purchased the Sunday Ticket and Superfan, she placed the order for the receiver stating it may take 3-4 weeks to arrive. She did give me a number to check status with and said this should show up online soon. I'll get excited when I receive confirmation, but this would be fantastic.

Brent T

Second Unit
Barry BB,

Glad you had some luck. One of my other friends got the same deal today as well. I hope everyone can take advantage of this, its too good to pass up.

Barry_B_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Barry
Ok, Brent, now I'm excited; installation date is 7/26 with a $19.99 installation fee. This did take a lot of work, the order was never actually placed during the first call and the number given would only connect to an automated system stating the account was invalid. When I emailed about this they responded yesterday letting me know this was a valid offer and I was eligible; call THIS number to place the order. Of course this number didn't work either. Long story short, it took two hours of transfers and dropped connections on the phone before I reached Ken; he knew what I wanted and took care of the rest. Not sure why they make this so difficult, but for the improvement over my current S-Video connection it was worth it. Thanks again.

Barry_B_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Barry
Just an update; the installer came this morning, HD is breath-taking and has me checking out the Samsung DLP all over again! This is what I expected to see when I upgraded the display to begin with. Highly recommended! :emoji_thumbsup:

Brent T

Second Unit
Barry,

Glad you love it !! As much as I enjoy the HD TIVO, my wife loves it even more. She is going back to night school for her masters and doesnt miss a beat in HD any more. I cant wait till football season. I can watch my Eagles in HD Glory over and over and over.

Cant beat the free HD TIVO !!

Barry_B_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Barry
Hey Brent,

My wife talked her manager into letting her "work" from home the rest of the week after hearing the upgrade was complete :) The only downside was this receiver will not work with the 5-line dish (according to the installer) needed to pick up local channels in HD, and supposedly the receiver coming out in the fall will so schedule another upgrade. No big deal, as we also can't wait for the NFL season to begin. You're all right for an Eagles fan! :emoji_thumbsup:

htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
:laugh: How 'bout them Cowboys?!!! :laugh:
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

a note on what you just said. the hd tivo will work with the 5 lnb dish BUT it will not record the locals in hd unless you have the antenna. however the big HOWEVER i talked with direct tv and they said if you buy the hd tivo now they will uprade you for free to the new mpeg 4 unit when it comes out in the coming months which will record the locals in hd coming in off the lnb's, and since its a free upgrade when it comes out you will save about 400 bucks since it will prob come out around 750 like the orig hd tivo

Barry_B_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Barry
I can live with that; I wish there was more HD content (you get spoiled very quickly) but I can do without the upgrade fee!

ericJed

Agent
I called DTV last night to find out when was the new H20-220(I think) was available for the rest of the country and she told me by the end of Oct.
I just got my free H10-220 in May and they dint tell me you could not get locals in HD with that receiver until after they installed the thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks