What's new

Directors directors draft (1 Viewer)

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Rich, yes you must select another director.

The idea here is that we take each select X amount of directors (we all get the same number of picks), through a draft order. And then when We have finished the draft and each person has the completed list.

Then we run a tournament in which we put people lists up against one another and vote for who we think had the better list until we have narrowed it down to 1.

Having to choose 2nd tier directors is what makes it more fun and challenging. Because of the drafting order, No one person gets to grab all of the cream, and we sometimes don't even get our favorites. It's usually what people choose in the later rounds that really fleshes out the list and gives us a better perspective of their overall tastes.

At least you got your #1 in Tarkovsky, I probably would have grabbed him myself in my second pick. But I figured it was a Sunday and some people actually have lives they live on the week-end, and I knew he would be your #1, So I did not wanna be a prick and grab him out from under you. :D

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Brian!

I'll need to ruminate on this for a small amount of time... my first choice would be Bresson, but since his films are not well-represented on DVD (thanks, Criterion, for the sole entry!), I wonder how many folks on this forum have seen many/any of them. Fassbinder might be a better choice. Hmmmm.... will get back soon!

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I’m most interested in the later rounds. I’ve got no clue as to how I will pick, but I’ll be pretty interested in who you guys will pick.

After all anyone can pick Buñuel or Kubrick. What will it look like after we have hit the first 50?

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Rich,

I think most of us have done so many of these that we forget to explain it in sufficient detail (my first post was certainly vague :)). Thanks to Brian for expounding.

I was actually starting to think that I might get to snag my second favorite director. Thanks a lot Rand :frowning:

Ok,

Angelo picks Zhang Yimou

It's Steve's turn.

On deck:

Gabe D
Vickie_M
Jan H

waiting for a selection:

Rich (only 1 pick at this point)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
First round summary:

George Kaplan:
Alfred Hitchcock

Jim_K:
Akira Kurosawa

Jan H:
Stanley Kubrick

Vickie_M:
Terry Gilliam

Gabe D:
The Coen Brothers

SteveGon:
Werner Herzog

Angelo.M:
Martin Scorsese

Rand:
William Wyler

ErikG:
John Carpenter

Chris_Richard:
John Ford

Lew Crippen:
Carl Theodor Dreyer

Brook K:
Ingmar Bergman

Rich Malloy:
Andrei Tarkovsky

Justin_S:
David Cronenberg

Brian Lawrence:
Steven Spielberg

Ric Bagoly:
Oliver Stone

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Dammit, Angelo! Yimou was going to be my third pick. :frowning: First Camus, now Yimou. Hey, that rhymes! :D

My second pick is Krzysztof Kieslowski.

Oh well, I had a feeling you were gonna snag one of the two...

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Gabe takes Frank Capra :frowning:

Vickie's turn.

On deck:

Jan H
Jim_K
George Kaplan

Waiting for a selection from:

Rich

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
My next picks would have been Stanley Kubrick (who actually would have been my first choice, only I couldn't bear the thought of NOT having Terry Gilliam and couldn't take the chance he'd be gone) and the Coen Brothers, but I knew when this tourney started I would be deeply depressed most of the time. Just knowing that most of you are in the same boat is highly cheering.

Gnash away boys.

Peter Jackson

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Steve:

My choice for this round was between Yimou and Kieslowski, and it was basically a toss-up that could have easily gone the other way. :D

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I wish. It looked like I might actually get my second favorite director there for a while, but thanks to Rand, no such luck.

I do have to admit though, that I'm pleasantly surprised by the quality of directors still available. My next two picks both directed 3 films in my top 100.

Howard Hawks

To Have & Have Not
The Big Sleep
Bringing Up Baby

Mel Brooks

Young Frankenstein
Blazing Saddles
The Producers

OK,

Jim's turn again.

On deck:

Jan H
Vickie_M
Gabe D

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Results after 2 rounds:

George Kaplan:
Alfred Hitchcock
Howard Hawks

Jim_K:
Akira Kurosawa
Fritz Lang

Jan H:
Stanley Kubrick
Woody Allen

Vickie_M:
Terry Gilliam
Peter Jackson

Gabe D:
The Coen Brothers
Frank Capra

SteveGon:
Werner Herzog
Krzysztof Kieslowski

Angelo.M:
Martin Scorsese
Zhang Yimou

Rand:
William Wyler
Billy Wilder

ErikG:
John Carpenter
James Cameron

Chris_Richard:
John Ford
Francis Ford Coppola

Lew Crippen:
Carl Theodor Dreyer
Michael Powell

Brook K:
Ingmar Bergman
Luis Bunuel

Rich Malloy:
Andrei Tarkovsky
Robert Bresson

Justin_S:
David Cronenberg
David Lynch

Brian Lawrence:
Steven Spielberg
Preston Sturges

Ric Bagoly:
Oliver Stone
Brian DePalma

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
This next pick is tough as there's still quite a few of my favorite Directors left to choose from.

My next pick probably won't get me any votes from the film snob crowd but WTF do they know anyhow? :D

Sergio Leone - 6 out of 7 films seen. 3 masterpieces & 3 others that are genuine genre classics.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks