What's new

Director George Hickenlooper talks about releasing "Hearts of Darkness" to DVD (1 Viewer)

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
Director George Hickenlooper was one of the guests on Jon Favreau's "Dinner for Five" tonight on the Independent Film Channel. He said he's been trying to get Francis Ford Coppola to let him release his documentary "Hearts of Darkness" on DVD.

The hold up is that Coppola wants him to make a few changes, particularly a comment Coppola made after Martin Sheen's heart attack, "He's not dead until I say he's dead." Coppola isn't opposed to the line being left in, but he feels it was out of context.

Hickenlooper said he was willing to make the changes Coppola wants, so he's optimistic "Hearts of Darkness" will finally be released to DVD.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
no surprise really that FFC wants to make changes, let's hope it won't take long to be released then

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator
Fine, let's hope it does come out soon, but let's also hope FFC isn't given so much influence on it that it loses its objective perspective. I trust it won't turn into a "watered down" doc.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
glad i have the laser so i wont have to put up with seeing an edited for feelings(FFC's) version.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Will be interesting to see what changes FFC wants. Doesn't sound like Hickenlooper is too opposed to the changes, so hopefully they won't be too bad - and if anything, they may add to the film (more context, etc) rather than just cut stuff out.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure that Martin Sheen would see the funny side of Coppola's statement today, so maybe footage will be inserted to put the gag in context. Otherwise, it is a mildly offensive comment to make in light of Sheen's cardiac arrest.

To be honest though, I'd rather see a full-blown 3-disc SE of Apocalypse Now with both cuts, commentary, DTS, new interviews, with Hearts of Darkness as the third disc. Heaven knows that the fans want this badly.

Charles Ms

Stunt Coordinator
It seems that the editing job on "Hearts of Darkness" is more severe than we all thought, because it has become very quiet about this release.

I hold back on buying "Apocalype Now Redux" in hope on a Special Edition including the documentary but i doubt there is much hope for it.

It is really a shame that one of the best making of documentaries besides "Burden of Dreams", which was recently released, is still missing.

FFC what has become of you !!!? :angry:

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
Burden of Dreams is a Les Blank documentary on the making of Werner Herzog's Fitzcarraldo. It's been quite a few years since I've seen it, but I remember that it was very good.

Hal F

Stunt Coordinator
Too bad its taking so long for this one. I think it a great documentary. I don't care much for Apocalypse Now.
So I hope if this documentary is ever released that it will not be as part of some super-duper edition of Apocalypse. Or if it is, that one will also have the option of picking it up seperately. Hate to think of having to buy that movie just to pick up the documentary.:frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks