What's new

Directors DIRECTOR FILMOGRAPHY - The Films of HOWARD HAWKS (1 Viewer)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
The Thing From Another World (1951) :star::star:1/2
The Big Sleep (1946) :star::star:1/2
Bringing Up Baby (1938) :star::star::star::star:
Scarface (1932) :star::star::star:
The Criminal Code (1931) :star::star::star:

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Rio Lobo (1970) https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/4/4d/htf_images_smilies_star.gif">
[b]El Dorado (1966)[/b]
[b]Rio Bravo (1959)[/b]
Air Force (1943)
Ball of Fire (1941)
Sergeant York (1941)
[b]His Girl Friday (1940)[/b]
Only Angels Have Wings (1939)
[b]Bringing Up Baby (1938)[/b]
Come and Get It (1936)
The Road to Glory (1936)
Ceiling Zero (1936)
[b]Barbary Coast (1935)[/b]
[b]Viva Villa! (1934)
[b]The Crowd Roars (1932)[/b]
[b]The Criminal Code (1931)[/b]

Mario Gauci

Senior HTF Member
Mike,

Did you forget to add ** more stars to HIS GIRL FRIDAY (1940) or is that rating for real:frowning:?

I'm curious because, not only is FRIDAY my top Hawks film (and, as you may know, Hawks is my candidate for the greatest Hollywood film-maker!), but it's also the film I consider to be the funniest ever.

All in all, my all-time No. 4 film...which is practically verbatim what I wrote in my original post in this thread:)!

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
The two stars are for real BUT don't hold me to it. Like BRINGING UP BABY, I last saw HGF around 15 years ago and my memory is not liking it too much. I loved BUB when I revisited it last year and I've got that Grant box set lined up for next month. It's also worth noting that I hated Grant when I was a kid but now he's one of my favorites.

Either way, HGF and ONLY ANGELS HAVE WINGS were the main reason I picked up that set.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Aw, c'mon, Mario --- not everyone can or needs to love every highly-acclaimed film... :)

I'm now going to put HIS GIRL FRIDAY on my Netflix list. :emoji_thumbsup:

Mario - you may be happy to know that I'm giving THE BIG SLEEP another chance when I buy the upcoming Bogie/Bacall set!

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
As much as I enjoy stupid trash like FRANKENSTEIN'S DAUGHTER, PLAN 9 or the F13 series, there's no way in hell I'm "happy" that that's the only stuff I watched as a kid.

Mario Gauci

Senior HTF Member
Quote (originally posted by Joe Karlosi):

"Michael, if you saw the movie 15 years ago, that would mean you were only 10 when you first saw it. You never know, you may like it better now as an adult if you give it another try. I'm glad in many ways that a lot of these classic films have escaped my radar till I've now gotten older. I probably wouldn't have enjoyed SUNSET BLVD. as much as a child."

I don't recall how old I was when I watched HIS GIRL FRIDAY (1940) for the first time one Saturday afternoon on Italian TV but I must have been around 10 as well. And, no...back then it certainly didn't stike me as a Top 5 movie, either:)!

As a matter of fact, it was only in my teens when I got more into reading film criticism books - and, specifically, David Thomson's thought-provoking "Film: A Biographical Dictionary Of The Cinema" - that I truly started to appreciate both Howard Hawks and Cary Grant. Until then, my favorite actor would have been either Humphrey Bogart or James Cagney, while either Frank Capra or John Ford would have been my candidate for the best American film-maker. However, after reading Thomson's pretty damning entries on Capra, Ford and Bogie in his book, I was pretty shaken and, even if I don't agree with many of his controversial views, I'm grateful that he's turned me onto several talented artists who were unjustly overshadowed by more acclaimed directors.

Quote (originally posted by Joe Karlosi):

"Aw, c'mon, Mario --- not everyone can or needs to love every highly-acclaimed film...

I'm now going to put HIS GIRL FRIDAY on my Netflix list.

Mario - you may be happy to know that I'm giving THE BIG SLEEP another chance when I buy the upcoming Bogie/Bacall set!"

I'm overjoyed that you and Michael will be watching HIS GIRL FRIDAY soon and I'm willing to bet every bottom dollar I have left that you'll both end up loving it...:)

Quote (originally posted by Michael Elliott):

"As much as I enjoy stupid trash like FRANKENSTEIN'S DAUGHTER, PLAN 9 or the F13 series, there's no way in hell I'm "happy" that that's the only stuff I watched as a kid."

I've watched some of the greatest non-horror:) films ever made - THE BATTLESHIP POTEMKIN (1925), THE GOLD RUSH (1925), THE GENERAL (1927) and BICYCLE THIEVES (1948) - before I was 12 or something...so, Mike, I empathize with your sentiments:)!

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

I can definitely relate, since as much as I was weaned on the Saturday Night Shockfests, I also saw different types of films as a kid, that's true (and many of these in the THEATERS, among them THE STING, BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID, AMERICAN GRAFFITI, ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST....). I was just suggesting that there are certain types of films that an adult could relate to better than a child. I don't think THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY would work quite as well to a 7-year-old, for example.

I guess to make my point clearer, you've often said you've seen so many great old films so long ago now (I believe IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT was one) that your memory wasn't that keen on it. I've had the same problem with movies I've seen years before I ever kept these notes. So as a result, I'm forced to leave a good amount of them off these "Director Lists" until I can get an updated viewing.

Martin Teller

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Teller
El Dorado (1966) - 7/10
Hatari! (1962) - 6/10
Rio Bravo (1959) - 9/10
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1953) - 7/10
The Thing From Another World (1951) (uncredited) - 2/10
Red River (1948) - 8/10
The Big Sleep (1946) - 7/10
To Have and Have Not (1944) - 7/10