Director Bob Clark Killed

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Michael_K_Sr, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Michael_K_Sr

Michael_K_Sr Screenwriter

MichaelK
    Killed with his son in a crash on the Pacific Coast Highway. Director of one of my all time favorite films, A Christmas Story. He'll be missed. [​IMG]

2. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Lead Actor

Michael Elliott
    I just read about this a few minutes ago and I'm really, really shocked. Of course, the drunk who hit them lived.

He'll probably always be remembered for A CHRISTMAS STORY but you've also got PORKY'S, BLACK CHRISTMAS and the cult favorite CHILDREN SHOULDN'T PLAY WITH DEAD THINGS.

3. Mario Gauci

Mario Gauci Cinematographer

Holy shit! This is terrible news. Not just to die in that senseless way but to have his son killed as well! Christ, I hope the drunk driver gets a life sentence.

God knows Bob Clark's career had been "over" for over 20 years but his early films - DEATHDREAM (1972) and especially BLACK CHRISTMAS (1974) - as well as A CHRISTMAS STORY (1983). naturally, will always remain significant achievements in their field and be remembered for a long time to come.

Ironically, I almost rewatched BLACK CHRISTMAS last Christmas and I've had Clark's Sherlock Holmes vs. Jack The Ripper opus, MURDER BY DECREE (1978), sitting on my unwatched DVDs pile for a couple of months now. I usually watch a movie or two of somebody who has just died as a tribute but this may be just too sad a death to "celebrate".

4. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

I just read this and I'm truly shocked and saddened. And his son too? A tragedy. I'm about to be a father for the first time in 6 weeks so I can barely imagine this.
    Apparently the driver also didn't have a license.
    RIP, Bob. You made some terriffic and entertaining films as well as one genuine classic that will be remembered fondly forever.
    Very, very sad and senseless....

[​IMG]

I was going to watch Turk 182 soon as I hadn't seen it in awhile. I think I'll move that screening up and of course watch A Christmas Story.

dave

5. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

3 letters...WTF?

This really threw me for a loop. I'm really shocked. I loved the movie "Loose Cannons" and I enjoyed what I've seen of "A Christmas Story", and now the man who made them has died. This is bullshit.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

I hope that TCM will include him in their annual "TCM Remembers" montage.

6. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    I just woke up and read this as well.

Very tragic news.
    I was half asleep, so I read the headline wrong, and thought it was only his son, When I started to wake up and read it again, it was Clark who died as well.

one of the best classic movies ever.."A Christmas Story"

RIP Clark[​IMG]

7. Paul_Nyman

Paul_Nyman Second Unit

Just read this news too! RIP Bob Clark and my condolences to the Clark family on the loss of your son in this tragic accident today!

8. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick
    Terrible news. Drunks always seem to live, while the innocent are lost. I feel for the families on both sides!

9. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    It is absolutely infuriating that these two lives were snuffed out by an irresponsible asshole who had no business being out on our roads at all. Thank you for a true rarity, Mr. Clark: a timeless film. I wish your son had had a chance to live up to his potential. God rest you both.

10. Med

Med Stunt Coordinator

Gobsmacked! What a tragic way to go - and for his son to die along with him!

Hope they throw the book at the drunken #**#@

Enjoyed many of Clark's horror films and Murder by Decree was a favourite of mine.

RIP

11. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    there was a lot of coverage on this wreck on the LA morning shows because it had completely shut down the PCH (pacific coast highway) a major commuter route, since the 2:30 am crash, at that point they hadn't released who had died, just that two men had died. I just found out and am stunned. The drunk driver was in a big freakin SUV and the Clarks were in a regular sedan, naturally they were destroyed while the drunk was only in critical condition. This is the same road that Mel Gibson was arrested on for drunk driving it's dangerous to drive on and desperately needs a median barrier put in, I hope this tragedy sparks something good to come of it.

Christmas Story is one of my favorite movies, he'll be sadly missed. [​IMG]

12. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

May they rest in peace [​IMG]

13. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    Just found out over at the software section. Really shocking and sad. [​IMG]

14. TheGreatOz

TheGreatOz Second Unit

15. TheGreatOz

TheGreatOz Second Unit

"Sometimes, at the height of our revelries, when our joy is at it's zenith, when all is most right with the world, the most unthinkable disasters descend upon us."... A Christmas Story (1983)

16. GerardoHP

GerardoHP Supporting Actor

Gerardo Paron
    Sickening.

17. Chuck Pennington

Chuck Pennington Supporting Actor

This road accident reminds me of how Alan J. Pakula died several years ago. It didn't involve a drunk driver, but it was similarly unexpected. He was killed when another car struck a metal pipe lying in the road and it flew into the windshield of his car. I read some rumors he was decapitated or partially so - very tragic.

18. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

Not only was the driver drunk, but driving without a license. Such a waste.

Clark's few successes far exceed in their longevity.

Finally, two words come to mind... "Oh-h-h-h-h Fu-u-u-u-u-d-g-e!"

Godspeed, Mr. Clark.

19. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    OMG! [​IMG][​IMG]

This is particularly eerie since I just watched the remake of Black Christmas tonight and saw an interview with him. [​IMG] This year when I watch the marathon of A Christmas Story on X-mas eve i'll be very saddened. [​IMG] They need to make an example of the son of a bitch who killed them.

May they both rest in peace. [​IMG]

20. Brett_M

Brett_M Screenwriter

Brett Meyer
    RIP Bob & Ariel Clark.