What's new

DirecTivo Questions (1 Viewer)

Dave Schofield

Second Unit
Sorry to be the newbie (haven't been one since '99 here...), but I have a few basic questions regarding DirecTivo. I spent most of my afternoon at dbstalk.com and tivocommunity.com but didn't find my answers.

#1. I have a single LNB Pegasus setup. Can I simply buy a Dual LNB and install it myself? I'm also planning on an upgrade to HDTV soon, would it make more sense to buy a Triple LNB and install it at this time? I see that most DirecTivo units are dual tuner, will I be OK just skipping the second tuner if I choose not to upgrade to the Dual LNB.

#2. I'm planning on buying a small (40GB) unit and upgrading it via a "regular" HD. Is there a recommended unit (of the 40 GB models) or are they all the same?

#3. I see a mention every so often about a "lifetime subscription". I would assume then there is a monthly subscription option as well. Is this in addition to the $4.99/month charged by DirecTV?

Thanks!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1. Are you sure it's a single LNB. Those haven't been sold in years. Pull the LNB off first and see if it has a pair of coax connectors. A triple LNB would be a good upgrade now. You would have more than enough outputs. The dual functionality is the BEST feature of the DirecTivo. Take the time to set it up correctly.

2. All of the DirecTivos are made by Solectron at the same factory in Mexico. Inside, all of the current models are identical.

3. Lifetime only applies to stand alone models. They are 12.99/month or 299 lifetime PER Tivo. DirecTV charges a 4.99 Tivo fee to cover ALL the DirecTivos on the account. That's why more people are changing all of their receivers to the DirecTivo model. If you are a Total Choice Premier customer, they will waive the Tivo fee.

-Robert

Al Fischer

Stunt Coordinator
Dave,

Dual LNB is different than Dual tuners. The Dual LNB gives you additional channels, locals, etc.

The Dual Tuner is for recording 2 shows at the same time. To use 2 tuners you need to make sure that the mutliplexer on your dish has at least 2 cable outputs. TiVo will need 2, plus any Receivers in other rooms, will need an output.

Hope this helps.

Al

Dave Schofield

Second Unit
Al, I'm of the understanding that in order to use the dual tuners I need a dual LNB, otherwise I have two tuners fighting for passes on the single LNB "sweep". Is this incorrect?

Robert, so the only costs/fees that I'm looking at are: Cost of DirecTivo Unit (~$99), Tivo monthly fee ($4.99) and second receiver fee ($4.99)

If I were to want to have a second reciver (a.k.a. third reciever if I have the dual tuners on my Tivo hooked up), what would I need on the satellite end? Is this where the multiplexers come in? I'm fairly comfortable wiring all for HT up until I get involved with SAT signals, then I'm lost.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks