Direct Views can't do 720p?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Frank@N, May 5, 2003.

1. Frank@N

Frank@N Screenwriter

Was talking to a HT sales guy who commented that 'direct views (CRT) can't do 720p, they'd burn up"

True or false?

2. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

"Burn up"??? LOL. Of course CRT is capable of being designed to display 720p; it's no different from all the CRT computer monitors that can do that plus even higher resolution + higher refresh rate. There have been a few CRT direct-views produced that could do 720p.

What is true is that nearly all direct-view HDTVs available won't do it; it's cheaper not to support 720p display. Many will accept 720p as input, converting to 1080i for display.

3. David Lorenzo

David Lorenzo Stunt Coordinator

It's true that direct view consumer sets, save computer monitors and monovision sets, can't do 720p natively. I have no idea what he was talking about when he said they would "burn up" though.

4. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

720p is more scan lines per second than 1080i. Some TV electronics (I don't know which and don't know how to predict which) will be damaged by feeding in a scan rate other than what they normally accept.

The very first IBM PC had in its manual a cautionary notice about this in reference to choosing and connecting a monitor.

Although almost all computer monitors handle 600p (for 800x600) and 768p (for 1024x768 non-interlaced) many do not accept 720p.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

5. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

I remember some direct view models that did 720p laster year? Wasn't there a panasonic that did?

6. Daniel Becker

Daniel Becker Second Unit

The Sony 32" HS500 accepts a 720p signal. I know because I just bought one. [​IMG]

Dan.B

7. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Accepting 720p and displaying it as such without scaling are two separate things.

8. David Lorenzo

David Lorenzo Stunt Coordinator

Any modern computer monitor should be able to handle 720p with ease. I have a 4 year old Philips 19" monitor and it can do 1920x1080p with no problem. Not that I ever use it, but it shows you just how "modern" HDTV direct view technology is right now.