What's new

Direct Graphic DVD Comparisons now Online! (1 Viewer)

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
New...
Gaumont Columbia Tri Star (Collector's Edition) - Region 2 - PAL "Taxi Driver" vs. Columbia Tri Star (Collector's Edition) - Region 1, 3, 4 - NTSC vs. Sony Pictures (Two-Disc Collector's Edition) - Region 1 - NTSC vs. Columbia Tri Star (Superbit) - Region 2 - NTSC
The new Sony looks very much like the Japanese SUPERBIT...
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/
Best,

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I don't like colorization on principle, but I'm impressed by She. Instead of looking gimmicky, all the samples look like hand-stenciled color you'd see on period lobby card photographs.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Patrick McCart said:
I don't like colorization on principle, but I'm impressed by She. Instead of looking gimmicky, all the samples look like hand-stenciled color you'd see on period lobby card photographs.
Patrick,
Like you were reading my mind. Except I don't write that well.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Regarding the DVDBeaver review of Mutiny on the Bounty HDDVD:

Quote:
If one is forced to find a flaw it was in the fact that there was no Mono presentation of the original recording available with this HD DVD purchase.
end quote.

Gary, Gary, Gary. I don't even know what to say to you.

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
:)
Say it to the reviewer - Matthew Eizenga.
Cheers,
Gary
P.S. I'll see that he corrects it. I know - there was never a mono presentation. The film as originally presented was in 70mm ultra-panavision and magnetic six-track stereophonic sound.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
It wasn't Gary who reviewed Bounty, it wasMatthew Eizenga. Also, why anyone would want to watch this film in mono, is beyond me. The original 70mm prints
were 6-track magnetic stereo and the 5.1 track approximates that mix. Most 65mm films had a 6-track mix and the sound was designed that way in pre-production; the mono mix was for the 35mm prints.

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
New...
MGM (UK) - Region 2,4 - PAL 'Stardust Memories' vs. vs. MGM - Region 1 - NTSC
Some may also be interested in two new DVD reviews - a rare film by Godard and one by Mizoguchi (New York Film Annex - region 0 NTSC with Eng subs)
Have a great, and safe, long weekend,
Gary

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
New...
Sony Pictures (Special Edition) - Region 1,3,4 - NTSC "A Few Good Men" vs. Sony Pictures (SuperBit) - Region 0 - NTSC
P.S. In his review of the Blu-ray The Warriors Leonard has added 5 matching screen caps from Paramount (Original Theatrical Cut) - Region 1.
Cheers,

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
FYI,
In our review of Fox's The Fly Collection - The Fly (1958), Return Of The Fly (1959) and The Curse Of The Fly (1965) we've compared a few screen grabs with the Double Feature disc (just The Fly and Return Of The Fly) that came out in 2000. There is improvement.
Cheers,

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Gary, why do you still recommend the R2 of The Graduate over the new R1? It looks better to me, with more information and better color timing.

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
Actually if you read my comments Paul - I don't.

The bottom report card was left over from the first comparison - it has now been changed.

Regards,
Gary

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks