What's new

Direct Graphic DVD Comparisons now Online! (1 Viewer)

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
Finally !
MGM - Region 1 - NTSC "Kansas City Confidential" vs. Sony/BMG - Region 0 - PAL vs. Image Entertainment - Region 0 - NTSC vs. Alpha, Gotham Distribution - Region 0 - NTSC vs. TreeLine Films - Region 0 - NTSC
Image Entertainment

MGM

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
New out today....
MGM - Region 1 - NTSC "The Stranger" vs. Focus-Films (single-disc) Region 0 - NTSC vs. MGM Region 2 / 4 - PAL vs. Roan Region 0 - NTSC vs. Parade Region 0 - NTSC vs. Focus-Films (2-disc) Region 0 - NTSC vs. Eureka Region 0 - PAL
Best,

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
New...
ERA (RE-Mastered) Home Video - Region 0 - NTSC "Raise the Red Lantern" vs. MGM Home Video - Region 1 - NTSC vs. Razor - Region 0 - NTSC
and, although not official comparisons, Leonard compared screen captures in his reviews of the Blu-ray editons of Terminator and Infernal Affairs with their SD counterparts.
Cheers,

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
The upcoming Region 1 Dragon Dynasty (Weinstein) is added...
Tartan - Region 2 - PAL 'Hard Boiled' vs. Long Shong Int. (Taiwan) - Region 0 - NTSC vs. Fox/Lorber- Region 1 vs. Mei Ah Region 0 NTSC vs. Dragon Dynasty - Weinstein (2-disc Ultimate Edition) - Region 1 - NTSC vs. TF1 Vidéo (France)- Region 2 - PAL vs. Criterion - Region 0 - NTSC
Best,

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
Not being a John Woo fan I didn't initially verify this but the new Hard Boiled coming out next Tuesday by Dragon Dynasty (Weinstein) has DUBtitles. Some may still wish to get for the extensive supplements.
Best,
Gary

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
Although not a full comparison per-se - in our review of The Film Noir Classic Collection - Volume 4 we have compared a couple of frames from the new Warner with the older Éditions Montparnasses - Region 2 - PAL for They Live By Night and The Big Steal.
Cheers,

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
Hey Gary, this might already have been planned, but I was hoping you could update the comparison pages for The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth with the new re-releases when possible. Thanks.

DouglasBr

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you Gary. Looks like the new flipper has more visual info on all sides (at least on that first cap). Not too much money for the double-dip, that's for sure, especially as Jean/Manon is one of my all-time favorite movie experiences.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Jean/Manon is one of my all-time favorite movie experiences.
Both movies mean a lot to me too, and up there with my all time favorites now.
Looking at the comparision, the differences in color timing are almost comical.
While overall, I don't regret buying the new flipper- and am thankful there is a halfway decent anamorphic presentation of the film to finally watch- I can't help but think the color timing of it is wildly off.
I could accept the golden tint in certain situations, but when you see a cap where there are trees shorn of leaves, and the image still has an exceedingly warm, golden cast to it, that just screams incorrect.

Its a shame the original transfer wasn't anamorphic because to my eyes it is the most correct looking, as well as the most detailed. In fact, I bet it is all the resolved film grain that made it the compression nightmare it was, and was reason for all the artifacting.
The new disc looks much more filtered in comparison.

Overall a step in the right direction, but still frustratingly "off" (and I have no doubt that someday when there is a more correct, balanced disc available, we'll all look at this new one and wonder how we could have ever accepted it as it is). Why is it that these films in particular are having such a hard time getting a decent presentation?

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Paul_Scott said:
Why is it that these films in particular are having such a hard time getting a decent presentation?
Because it's a foreign film and the major studios really don't care about them (for the most part) and these films in particular may require a little extra work to present them properly. It's sad that fantastic films like Florette and Manon not only aren't given special treatment (with picture quality and extras), but to just slap both films on a double-sided disc is really a slap in the face.
I bet "Who's Your Caddy?" will get the royal DVD treatment when it's released. :rolleyes

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Marc Colella said:
Because it's a foreign film and the major studios really don't care about them (for the most part) and these films in particular may require a little extra work to present them properly. It's sad that fantastic films like Florette and Manon not only aren't given special treatment (with picture quality and extras), but to just slap both films on a double-sided disc is really a slap in the face.
I bet "Who's Your Caddy?" will get the royal DVD treatment when it's released. :rolleyes
Just wait; what's going to stop MGM from releasing the La Cage Au Folles films as a triple feature on a DVD-14?

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
The revised Superbit has more detail but it takes a bit of scrutiny to notice it. The new version also appears more greenish to this eye.

Regardless, my main point is around the viability of SHOWING the difference on a website. The value of hi-def comes as the projected images gets larger. The large images compacted to the small screen hides the differences one might see on a 70" screen, thus delivering questionable value in a comparative analysis (unless the viewer significantly enlarges all images for themselves).

Btw Gary, I enjoyed your women of film noir article.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
rich_d said:
Regardless, my main point is around the viability of SHOWING the difference on a website.
I must concur. It's hard to convey on a website just how much more detail there is to HD, especially when you're having to downconvert every capture so it doesn't slow down the site too much. It's much better to see it in person on a properly calibrated display, since my experience with HD in B & Ms like Best Buy has been less than positive.
FWIW, the best calibrated displays in retail I've seen have been on the Toshiba in-store displays in places like London Drugs. Jaw-droppingly gorgeous are the words that come to mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks