What's new

Direct Graphic DVD Comparisons now Online! (2 Viewers)

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
and another Criterion comparison:
Criterion "Spellbound" vs. Anchor Bay (Native resolution screen caps)
Thanks to Gregory for both sets of Screen Captures
Link Removed
NOTE: It is the the R1 vs. R1 Section at the bottom !
Cheers,

Steffen

Auditioning
Concerning the questions to my "M"-comparison:

(sorry for the delay but I had to wait for the confirmation of my forum registration)

quote:
"No fair Gary. That disc doesn't have English subs. At least thats what Amazon.de says."

That's right. The emphasis with those three comparisons I did so far was just the difference in picture quality (so is the title of my comparisons). In this case I simply forgot that the language-thing is vital information for non-german-speaking people. As Gary posted earlier, the "M" comparison is updated now.

quote:
"I thought that the Criterion DVD already contains the longest available version. Can someone explain?"

Well, I had strong reason to believe that the new german release provides a longer version. But very strictly speaking I can't tell for sure. So I deleted that statement until I know definetely.
The runtime of the movie on the german DVD is 104:56. Considering PAL-speedup this makes a runtime of 109:25 (measured with the beginning of the actual credits of the film). Maybe someone could check this value with the Criterion disc while also subtracting the usual Criterion credits at the beginning.

Cheers,
Steffen

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
Steffan, welcome to the forum and thank for the info.
The Criterion disc of M runs 110:19 (excluding the Criterion/Janus logos).

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
And yet another Criterion comparison:
Criterion "Silence of the Lambs" vs. MGM (SE)
Link Removed
NOTE: It is the the R1 vs. R1 Section at the bottom!
This was initially a tough one. At first I would have easily said that the MGM is far superior, but upon closer examination I was unable to make a positive determination regarding the image quality. The MGM has a greenish/yellow tinge to its images (see capture #5) in comparison to the Criterion which has a reddish/pink hue, but the skin tones are more accurate on the MGM (captures #2, 3). The Criterion is darker and video sourced where the MGM is film sourced to the best judgment of my naked eye. As far as I was concerned both discs image quality was acceptable, but viewing on a widescreen television the MGM was the winner being anamorphic and much sharper. On the MGM disc the blacks are pitch black. Neither image has excessive edge enhancement. The MGM has close captioned for the hearing impaired and 5.1 sound, both a bonus over Criterion. The Extras probably lean toward the Criterion for the commentary, but the MGM has some nice features too with the Foster/Hopkins interviews and short featurettes. Okay, MGM is the winner, but it took them 3 years and 10 days to come up with a better DVD ( I am aware of the 'rights' issue ).
Cheers,

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
I own both the Criterion and R2 MGM version of The Silence Of The Lambs, and the stupid thing about MGM is that they still remove the original burnt-in titles in PAL versions!
I really think it's a stupid decision, look at this for example (screencaps from Whiggles.tk):
Criterion:

R2/4 MGM:

:thumbsdown:
{P.S. they also messed up The Usual Suspects - S.E. [R2/4])

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
I thought I posted this in the previous Tri-Color thread, but I can't seem to see it :?:, so I will post here instead...
This comes right on the heels of The Digital Bits posted the announcement for Krzysztof Kieslowski's Three Colors Trilogy (Blue, White and Red) from Buena Vista coming March 4th!
To view my, now accurate, comparisons of the Artificial Eye Region 2 "Tri-Color Blue" vs. Paradise Entertainment Korean Region 0
Artificial Eye Region 2 "Tri-Color White" vs. Paradise Entertainment Korean Region 0
Artificial Eye Region 2 "Tri-Color Red" vs. Paradise Entertainment Korean Region 0
, please click below:
Link Removed
It appears as though the Korean release have taken all the exact extras and similar transfer from the Artificial Eye disc and are also anamorphic. They are not quite as sharp, but still acceptable, but they do not have English subtitles for the Extras, which is a negative. I would say the Korean discs are a legitimate purchase for those who do not own a region-free machine or do not wish to wait till March for the Buena Vista releases to see these classic films on DVD in R1. If you have a Region-free machine (or live in R2) then the Artificial Eye are the way to go.
Regards,

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
Criterion Region 1 "Rififi" vs. Madman Entertainment Region 0 PAL
Link Removed
Although it appears as though the Australian Madman version has duplicated the Criterion extras they certainly couldn't duplicate the image quality. Hazy and washed-out the Madman release borders on sepia tones. The Criterion on the other hand is sharp (see the Umbrella top in capture #3) with solid black levels. My only complaint with the Criterion is, probably unavoidable in the restoration, two reels are out of sync with the sound being slightly early. Picky, I know. The Australian release has inaccurate and incomaplete sub-titles. Go with the Criterion all the way on this one.
Aside: Unclear throughout the narrative of the film, the cabaret song in the show that details what the word "rififi" means 'for the rough and tumble', as an active sexual reference.
Cheers,

nousername

Supporting Actor
This is a nice site, but I wish every comparison page had a short conclusion at the end, which tells the reader which version is better, which one is more faithful to the original source, which one has more accurate AR, etc. It's sometimes hard to tell from just viewing some jpegs on a computer screen which version is to be preferred (computer monitors vary greatly in quality from one to the other). The comparison between the two versions of Rear Window, for example, just shows pictures with no commentary whatsoever.

I know it's good for everyone to come to their own conclusions about which version is best for them (which seems to be the idea behind the site), but it would also be nice if the author(s) injected their own opinions at the end of each article. Some comparison pages have this, others don't...

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
I wish every comparison page had a short conclusion at the end
Thanks for the input Allan! Firstly we advise everyone NOT to use the images as their test of purchas-ability in our methodology section of the first page. The reason that we post all that other information ( aspect ratio, case type, extras, language info, audio info, subtitle info, chapters, etc. etc. is for you to use it to make your conclusions. Often there is no definite winner. One may have a slightly better image quality, but the other has better extras, so it depends on what you want personally.
The comparisons listed are not always mine, but ones from other sites (posted with their permission) and I can't enforce my method (which DOES do a rating Report Card)... and remember its is still subjective and only my opinion. I would prefer if you came to your own conclusions, using your own criteria of what you are seeking from that film on DVD, rather than simply take my word for it.
Cheers,
Gary

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
Forgot to mention there are two more comparisons:
Criterion "The Seventh Seal" R1 vs. Spectrum ( Korean ) R0 Thanks to Kevin for the Spectrum Screen Captures
and in the R1 vs. r1 section:
Kino/Image "Jamaica Inn" vs. LaserLight
Thanks to Gregory for the LaserLight Screen Captures
Link Removed
These comparisons may surprise you...
Cheers,

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
Two more:
Link Removed
REDONE: Spectrum Region 3 (3 Discs) "Dersu Uzaka" vs. Image Entertainment NTSC Region 0
Thanks to Kevin for the Spectrum Screen Captures
Image and Spectrum 3rd disc ( American version) are just about identical. Disc 1 is cropped slightly (2.35 to 2.20), although it has the brightest image quality.
Look at the clipping in the white snow (captures #3, #4) in the Korean Disc 1 image (bottom pictures)! They nuked all detail in their effort to make the snow appear more white. For shame.
I would buy the Image disc although the Spectrum has better extras, it has correct aspect ratio, colors and framing to my eye. Unfortunately all image discs are video-sourced .
BITWIN (Korean) Region 1 "L'appartement" vs. M6 Region 2
Thanks to Gregory for the M6 Screen Captures
I can't find a real site selling this Korean R0 DVD so I would guess that it is a bootleg, although it was advertised as "the official release". I bought it from EBay. The Korean image is brighter but washed out with much more edge enhancement, but I found skin tones to be better than the M6 disc which appear overly red (see capture #5). Obviously the anamorphic M6 image is sharper, more vibrant colors and the DVD has more extras (the BITWIN disc has none, although the box says "trailer"). Go with the M6 disc all the way, and if you live in R1, then don't buy this bootleg, buy a region-free machine instead. This film is good enough alone to support that purchase.
Note: Although it says 'Region 2' on the M6 box, it is in fact 'Region 0'.
Note: BAFTA Film Award in British Academy Awards 1998, Best Foreign Independent Film in the British Independent Film Awards 1998.
Note: This is being remade in the US as "Wicker Park".
If anyone of you are wondering how we are able to do some many of these comparisons, it is because there are contributions from many helpful people who do a lot of diligent work. I would like to thank them.
Regards,

StevenA

Second Unit
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Any plans to do a Region 1/2 comparison for The Wind Will Carry Us?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes StevenA, in the near future...
Great, thanks Gary!

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
I don't know whether it's a "real site", but the site I bought Dersu Uzala (Uzaka sounds cool too though ;) ) also has L'Appartement for sale: http://www.krdvd.com/details.php?id=71
Coincidently I received the M6 release of L'Appartement just yesterday, I'm glad to see I bought the best version. :)

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Mark, I have corrected the comparison... but I still think it may be a bootleg (illegal copyright issue)...

Cheers,

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
Speaking of bootlegs, The Korean Spectrum DVD of The Seventh Seal was certainly not licensed from Criterion.
I took the liberty to e-mail Criterion regarding this issue (I really don't like bootlegs), and Jon Mulvaney confirmed that the Korean release is indeed a pirated DVD.

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
Two new comparisons up...
In the R1 vs. R1 section:
Criterion Region 1 "High and Low" vs. Mei Ah (Hong Kong) Region 0
Thanks to Gregory for the
Criterion Screen Captures
Universal Region 1 "Vertigo" vs. Universal Region 4 (anamorphic)
Thanks to Ole for the R4
Screen Captures - thanks to restoration Producer Robert A. Harris for his input!
Link Removed
Best,

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
Two more new ones:
New Yorker Region 1- NTSC "Beau Travail" vs. Artificial Eye Region 2 - PAL
( don't see all the fuss)
Hong Kong Legends (UK) Region 2/4 "The Killer" vs. Criterion Region 0 vs. Fox/Lorber - Winstar Region 0
( HK Legends BIG winner )
Link Removed
Cheers,

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
Image Entertainment Region 1 "Woman in the Dunes" vs. Asmik (Japan) Region 2
Thanks to Won-joon Choi for all the Screen Captures
WHAM! Region 1 "My Name is Nobody" vs. SME Region 2 - PAL
Thanks to Ole for use of the R2 DVD
Check out the blooper on the WHAM! USA Region 1 Extra Feature of the "My Name is Nobody" DVD... in the bio's they list Henry Fonda as "Henry Ford" !

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks