What's new

Dipole or Bipole? (1 Viewer)

Jason Lovely

Stunt Coordinator
I was reading about the Polk f/x300i surrounds on the Polk site, and Polk recommends using bipole speakers if the surrounds have to be placed behind the listener. I'm kind of leaning toward a Paradigm Monitor Series speaker system now, but the recommended surrounds for the Monitor Series are designated as dipole. Does Paradigm offer bipole surrounds? The only place I can put the surrounds is on the wall behind the couch. I can't put them slightly to the rear and on the sides, as recommended on the Dolby site.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Paradigm does offer the sidefiring ADP-370 -- a 25.5-lb beast compared to MiniMonitor @ 15.5lbs.

If one mounts the ADPs on the wall next to the backwall corner, it doesnt seem that you'll get the benefits of its reverberent surround sound.

Here's where I'm going -- I have a cathedral ceiling so dipoles cant mount with wires into attic -- too cramped at the low end. So my MiniMonitor surrounds will be mounted in

an aftermarket, adjustable bracket to the ceiling on both sides where I can run the wires into the attic at accessible points, across the attic to an interior wall and down the studs to near my amp.

Jason Lovely

Stunt Coordinator
It seems to me that the only way I can use Paradigm surrounds is to put them on stands on both sides of the couch, but then they would be in the way. Does this mean I'm stuck with getting the Polk bipole surrounds?

Jason Lovely

Stunt Coordinator
Oh yeah...according to the Dolby site, there's also the option of putting them on small tables behind the couch, facing upward (toward the ceiling). Then again, what do I do if I want a rear center surround channel?

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Paradigm does not make a bipole speaker and I wouldn't recommend mixing Paradigm and Polk. I think it's important to keep the same drivers throughout your system. If you can't find a location to get the ADP-370's to work then I'd suggest going with a pair of Mini Monitors for your rear speakers.

If you decide to add a rear center speaker, I'd suggest another CC-370. I noticed in another post that you're looking at a Denon AVR-3802. Since the 3802 is capable of powering two surround back speakers you could also opt to use a pair of Mini Monitors in place of the CC-370.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks