What's new

Dimming LED lights (1 Viewer)

the owl

Auditioning
Real Name
Dominic
I have two 90 light sets of Sylvania LED Series micro-styled lights in clear(white). Does anyone know if there are dimmers that will work for them without ruining them? I've conflicting stories.. Also, can't find a number to call to check with them. Thanks

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
It depends on a lot of things. One of the problems with most electronic dimmers, particularly SCR-based, is that they "leak." And while the voltage leaking isn't high, it's enough that most SCR-type dimmers WON'T dim LEDs.

On the other hand, if you were to put a dummy or ghost load on the dimmer as well, say, a 25-watt incandescent lamp or something like that, it might make it work out properly. It's something I keep meaning to try...

Leo

chuckg

Supporting Actor
Leo is spot-on. If you can hide a 25 to 60 watt light bulb somewhere in a closet or whatever, then the "leak" through the dimmer will be absorbed (so to speak) by the bulb, so that your LEDs dim properly.

the owl

Auditioning
Real Name
Dominic
Thanks guys for your help. I'll let you know how things turn out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks