What's new

Dim reddish glow on TV (1 Viewer)

Scott_AH

Stunt Coordinator
I've recently noticed a dark red glow on my TV on the dark scenes when I watch DVDs. Usually, I only notice the problem when I get the room really dark but it's annoying enough for me to post a question on here about it. If the movie is wide-screen, I can see it in the black bars on the top and bottom and also at the beginning and end of a movie (when the screen goes black for a moment). I've never noticed the red on my s-video X-box connection or on my composite-video cable connection. Could this be my DVD player??? I've calibrated the set with Avia so it's not an obvious setup problem. The red glow is equal in brightness all over the screen. Does anyone know what could cause this?

Scott

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Sounds like a grayscale problem. You can get a pro to calibrate your grayscale to get rid of that tinge or try to eyeball your grayscale yourself in the service menu of the TV.

Regards

Scott_AH

Stunt Coordinator
I've messed around in the service menu a couple times to adjust a couple simple geometry problems. I think I know enough about grayscale to know that I probably shouldn't mess with it. Would it be the same as everything else?--I.E. write down the settings and I can always put them back... And which settings wouldn't I adjust? I don't know if this matters but the color appears great to me and is showing absolutely zero red push according to Avia.

Scott

Scott_AH

Stunt Coordinator
I found the service menu for this TV and it's got a step-by-step for adjusting "White Balance." Is this the same thing?

Scott

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
yes, white balance is gray scale.

I strongly suggest you dont attempt it.

I would contact the warranty provider and ask them to adjust the red blacks. If not in warranty, you could try to reduce the redcut setting, a few notches at a time until the red is gone. ALWAYS write your settings down prior to doing any service menu work!!

Best of luck

Gregg

Michael TLV

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Use AVIA or VE pluge patterns with gray boxes when eyeballing grayscale.

Or a black and white film if you have no access to any test patterns at all.

Regards

Scott_AH

Stunt Coordinator
According to the service manual, the TV has a few built in test patterns. Should I use those or Avia's??? Gregg, you seem to think I shouldn't try this. Might I ask why? I know this sort of thing is not easy to fix but is there a chance of really messing things up? I can always just set it back to the original settings right? I do have Best Buy's service plan to fall back on should anything go wrong.

Scott

Michael TLV

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

If you make it worse ... you should not be using a service plan to fix your mistakes. That would be fraud ...

Be careful and write down the starting points for anything you change.

regards

Scott_AH

Stunt Coordinator
Well, whether I mess with it or not, the problem still needs to be fixed. The way I figure it, I can try and do it myself and avoid a service call or I can put it back how it was and use the service plan. I plan on making no major adjustments and I'll be as careful as possible. I see no such "fraud" involved but rather a chance to avoid hassle for myself AND Best Buy.

Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks