Dilemma, objective opinions please

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Steve_Barrow, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Steve_Barrow

Steve_Barrow Agent

Hi folks;

I have a small dilemma and opinions would be much appreciated.

Fairly recently became interested in home theater, and in our new home I'm building a 14x30 room for a theater. Unfortunately I don't have the cash to buy what I really want for equipment for this room, but on my budget I have narrowed down to thinking the receiver is the next to go.

Room is currently comprised of

Denon 1601
    Panasonic DVD-RV32
    Sansui CD Player
    Hitachi 43" HD rear Projection TV
    B&W 604 S3's
    B&W LCR 600
    B&W 602 S3's
    Signet SP100 15" Sub
    Mission 8" Sub

I'm pretty happy at this point with the speakers and think my weak link is defiantly the denon receiver.

Dilemma:
    I have enough cash to purchase the Denon 3805 right now, but haven't heard it with a similar setup of speakers, and no one in town does in home demo's. On totems and energy's I found this seemingly a huge improvement over the 1601.

My alternative is to hang in there another few months and go with a Rotel 1068. I've heard this with my exact fronts and rears setup and was very impressed.
    By this time though I could have replaced my DVD also with a universal player.

I'm hoping with opinions from you all, I might see more clearly on what to do. It's far to tempting with cash in hand to go pickup the denon tonight [​IMG]

Any and all comments greatly appreciated

2. Mike Likens

Mike Likens Stunt Coordinator

If you can hold off a few months definately go with the Rotel. YOu will not regret it. It sounds like your weak point is your amplification. If you have preouts on the 1601, buy a multichannel amp.

3. Steve_Barrow

Steve_Barrow Agent

Sadly no pre-outs on the Denon.

if you don't mind, could you please elaborate as to why the rotel?

4. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

The Rotel will make the Denon roll up into a ball and hide in the corner. How's that?

Seriously, it sounds like your plans involve spending a load of cash. With the RSP-1068 comes a multi-channel amp. So you're talking well over $2,500 for the pre/pro-amp combo. The Denon 3805 retails for about $1,199. If you don't stammer at the thought of spending a chunk of money, the Rotel is well worth the expenditure. Start saving! Otherwise, the 3805 should have no problem driving your speakers and should give you a very satisfying HT experience.

5. Steve_Barrow

Steve_Barrow Agent

Whoops, thanks for helping me see my error. I'm considering the 1067, the 1068 was a consideration but really is out of the price range.

6. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

[​IMG]

That is if you are careful enough never to short any of the speaker terminals otherwise the Rotel might also roll up into a ball (of fire)[​IMG]

For more info about Rotels' short circuit protection (or lack thereof) see the other thread by PhillJones.

7. MikeHU

MikeHU Stunt Coordinator

Steve, I recently switched from a Denon 1801 to the 2805, and it made a huge difference in improving my sound. (klipsch ref./SVS). The 2805 is a step "below" the 3805 you have considered. I was torn between the 2, but went with the recommendation of my local retail expert, based on my listening needs/habits. I am quite pleased with the 2805, and can't imagine it getting a whole lot better. (although I'm sure I will find something else to change - like everyone else [​IMG] ) So, the 2805 could even save you a few more dollars over the 3805. I was really more interested in the upgrade from 5.1 to the 7.1 on the 2805, but came away from the whole thing with a surprisingly better overall sound, which was far more dramatic than I expected.

8. Steve_Barrow

Steve_Barrow Agent

Thanks Mike, thats the style of answer I was hoping for, Based on the above I'm starting to consider the Denon a bit more.

One more thought if anyone has a comment. Outlaw...

For a decent price I could go with an outlaw setup. might be inclined to wait until their new stuff hits the streets but any comments on outlaw gear and better yet Outlaw with B&W 600 series?

9. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Well for an objective opinion, why don't you wait till the room is finished and move everything in and live with it for a while after calibrating everything. Then maybe your perspective will change...or maybe not?

Yogi, that busted me up!

10. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

if you would want to settle for a silver Denon 3805s its cheaper than the normal black one at ecost

11. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Given the speakers you have and your lack of a good prog-scan DVD player I would get a receiver in line w/ a Denon 2805 or Pioneer 1014TX and also add a good prgo-scan dvd player like a Denon 1200, 2200, or the upcoming 1710 or 1910. I think this would make more of an impact in your overall enjoyment of your system compared to just upgrading to a better receiver, especially one that may outclass your current speakers. You should always have at least twice as much invested in speakers as a receiver.