What's new

Dilemma: 45TX needs more optical inputs.. (1 Viewer)

Mike Pollmann

Stunt Coordinator
I'm on the verge of buying a new receiver, and I've narrowed my choices down to the following: Denon 2803/3803, Sony DA4ES, and the Pioneer 45TX.

I'm very interested in the MCACC capabilities of the 45TX due to my abnormal room. Everything I've read on here makes me think it would be a great idea for optimum sound. The only problem with the 45TX is that it doesn't really have enough digital inputs. With only 2 optical inputs on the back, I can't see how I'd hook up my system.

Here's the equipment I need to hook up via digital inputs:
DVD Player (optical only), DirecTivo (optical), Xbox (optical), PS/2 (optical).

The Sony and Denon models both have 4 optical ins, and would work fine. But that darn MCACC sounds so appealing! The room I'm in is a large L shaped room, where the HT is in a large portion of it (a 12 x 12 square), with the left side being open to the rest of the room. I'm sure this non-ideal layout would benefit from the MCACC.

So, what do you guys think? Is it worth getting the 45TX and having to rely on a switchbox for optical inputs? I was hoping to eliminate a switchbox I currently use for a/v and have the receiver do everything. Or should I go with a Denon or Sony?

(As an aside, I'm also in the middle of weighing the pros and cons of authorized/non-auth purchases. I have about $800 or so to spend on this receiver, so could get any of the units for that from non authorized sources. If I decide to go the "correct" way I'd probably end up with the $800 2803. Unfortunately, the only store in town that carries the Pioneer & Sony is a bit 'snooty.' I'm never taken seriously when I go in there, I feel like I'm fighting the salesmen, etc. I honestly don't want to give them my business. The fact that they have a huge Bose display right when you walk in the door deters me even more. Would appreciate comments on this as well.)

Sorry for all the rambling. :) Help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Mike

Lynn Little

Stunt Coordinator
"Here's the equipment I need to hook up via digital inputs:
DVD Player (optical only), DirecTivo (optical), Xbox (optical), PS/2 (optical)."

Can the DirecTivo, Xbox or PS/2 be connected via coax instead of optical? If even one can be connected via coax, you're OK...

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
Unfortunately not, Lynn. I would be running into this problem myself, but I have digital cable so the rare times that I'm not running through my tivo I'm using coax instead of optical.

It's not really worth hooking up the ps2 to the optical as opposed to analog though, there's only a couple of games that utilize it at least for cut scenes, and even less that use some kind of multichannel audio.

David Judah

Screenwriter
That is a definitely one of the weaknesses of the 45TX. I think that is one of the places they scrimped to keep it at its price point.

There is an additional optical input on the front of the 45. You could make it work by switching out between the Xbox and the PS2 when you are playing games.

If you don't want to mess with that then I'd say go for one of the Denons.

Good luck,

DJ

Lynn Little

Stunt Coordinator
"There is an additional optical input on the front of the 45. You could make it work by switching out between the Xbox and the PS2 when you are playing games."

David, that's an excellent idea!

Mike Pollmann

Stunt Coordinator
Re: The front input. Is this assignable with the video inputs in the back? Or does it only work in conjunction with the Svideo port right next to it? I guess a cable swap there is an option since it's unlikely I'll be switching between the Xbox & PS/2 from the couch. :)

Also, as far as optical -> coax converters go. How well do these work? Is there any signal loss? And how are they powered typically?

Pete GTP

Auditioning
Well I find it works well. However I am not running a HD setup. I believe you can find some info on this if you do a search. You could always just use it for the gaming machines as it really wont matter much. It does come with a power cable that you plug into an outlet.

David Judah

Screenwriter
That front digital input is not assignable, so you would have to run your video from the consoles directly to the TV, if you have enough inputs.

DJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks