What's new

Digital vs. multi channel. (1 Viewer)

jblfx

Grip
Real Name
Luis
I'm planning on purchasing an Oppo DV-980H dvd player. Which connection is best for the audio: the optical digital or the 7.1 multi channel connections? I plan on hooking it up to a receiver that has the option for both. I've done a little research and from what I've read the multi channel connections are really only for DVD-audio or SACD discs. And not neccesary for regular movie DVDs. Is this true? I only watch movies and occasionally listen to music CDs.

This is one of the reasons I'm getting this particular player, but if the multi channels are not necessary, then I'll look into buying a different model. I want to get the BEST possible surround sound from my movies.

Thanks.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The main reasons to get the Oppo are SACD/DVD-Audio, its upscaling capabilities or its ability to play movies from other regions. If none of those is important to you, there is really no reason to get one.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Another thing to consider when making your decision is that when most receivers are hooked up via the 6/8 channel analog inputs things like the bass and treble controls as well as auto eq's such as Audyssey and EZSEt/EQ are bypassed. Other settings and features also may not be available. There are exceptions. The two Onkyo's I've owned (702 and 500) did allow bass/treble for the fronts thru the analog in's. I use a digital connection for dvd's and cd's and analog for use only with DVD-A and SACD.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
If you like music, you really should check out dvd-a and sacd music. Some of it is great! If the capability is there, use it.

When hooked up by 5.1/7.1 analog connections, the player is doing the processing of the signal. That's why you need to setup the player's settings for speaker distance and levels, when using this connection. With optical or digital coax, the receiver is processing the signal. For movies, most people prefer the digital connection.

bobh33

Grip
Real Name
Bob
Thanks in advance!!! I have the Onkyo HT-S894 system and really am not that happy with the audio yet. I have HDMI from DVD player to AVR and HDMI to the TV with optical coming back. Would I notice a big audio difference using muti-channel instead of optical from TV to AVR? I am getting some HD channels directly via the coaxial from the wall to the TV so no box is used. I am just not impressed by DD audio on the HD TV shows. I've also read where is depends on the cable provider's strength/quality of signal coming in??? The bass is fine, it's just the crispness of midrange/treble sounds that I am really lacking & think I should be getting with this system!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks