What's new

Digital Video Essentials: HD Basics Comes to Blu-ray and HD DVD (1 Viewer)

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
This will be one of the few disks I will have to purchase in both formats.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Not to dampen anyone's enthusiasm (mine included), but I'll be very surprised if it meets the Oct 30th street date. Just about every JKP product runs a few months behind. It's very cool that it is on the way...

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Actually this is a new calibration disc called HD basics. It is not DVE. The new disc is coming to both HD formats. It will be interesting to see the difference between DVE and this one. If there was ever a disc that screamed out for Warner's THD format this is it.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Unfortunately: yes.
When the DVE HD DVD finally hit the street last May, it was 6 months late (at least).

Cees

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I was a bit disappointed with HD DVE. I was hoping for some new patterns - particularly a new sharpness pattern. I may just wait for Blu-ray Avia this time. However, I can't complain for how little I was able to purchase HD DVE.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

I like using the frequency bars in conjunction with the outline patterns (ala Avia) when calibrating sharpness. In addition, Avia's sharpness pattern seems a bit more sensitive (even a bit exagerrated) in terms of showing edge enhancement which aids in calibrating sharpness. The frequency patterns, however, certainly aid.

In addition, I like the moving bars on Avia for the black level pattern and the flashing bars for tint.

With that said, I do prefer DVE's color bars (just for color) and the ability to see BTB.

The reality is both have their pros and cons. However, it would be nice if one of the other offered everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks