What's new

Digital Video Essentials? Any specs? (1 Viewer)

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
Joe Kane is busy at work on the New and Improved version of VE called Digital Video Essentials.
Anyone know of any specs yet? User friendliness etc?
I haven't gotten AVIA yet so I guess it'll be a toss up when this one streets in the short term future.
Troy
------------------
quote::My teacher tells me beauty is on the inside.
:That's just something ugly people say.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Joe spoke at length about the disc in LA at the dinner. The big thing is he is now mastering everything in HiDef- so the DVD version will be a downconvert.
He showed some test patterns from the disc- some multipurpose tests including some that test for the chroma bug, and test the quality of the actual Mpeg decoding engine in the player.
Also the new disc will have more audio emphasis- DTS 6.1 and Dolby EX test signals-- more than just level... phase, full freq sweeps, etc. Also a big explaination of audio systems and theory (which I got chatting with Joe about and he said he sent a draft of his audio info to a friend at THX for their thoughts- and he was told he was providing the same info THX charges $5000 for to their affiliates, a document which you have to sign a non-disclosure to get!)
Anyway- looks to be an overwhelming disc. Joe is a very smart and technically oriented man- so I think you might see more professional grade test signals, and more emphasis on having a real powerful calibration tool rather than a complete user friendly disc for wallmart. I could be wrong- but it sounds like Joe had the high-end enthusist in mind!
On a side note- Joe talked at length about a new HD-DVD standard for 720p which is backwards compatible with current DVD technology- no need for new lasers. It (from what I could gather) saves "extended" resolution information to create a 720 frame from 480. The space would come from the redundant frames created going from 24 to 30 (so, this system would only work on film source material, or 24 frame video).
Joe was excited because the system would add no cost to production of DVD- and would have no bad impact on people wanting to watch standard def info... I was a bit confused about some issues (since, as Joe Said, HDTV and good picture is mor than just resolution-- I thought the NTSC standard, even with added lines, would not be the same as HDTV's specs for color and contrast...)
I don't know how likely his new system is- but I did see Peter from Fox talking at length with Joe right after his presentation- so who knows.
Joe said Digital Video Essentials will probably street in Feb (he was actually working on it all day on Saturday, stopping only to come to HTF dinner and speak on HDTV).
-Vince
------------------
http://www.musicianassist.com
AIM: VinceMaskeeper
Interested in moving into FRONT PROJECTION with huge 6-10 foot widescreen? Buy my whole HDTV-ready CRT based front projection system delivered, cheap! Click here
[Edited last by Vince Maskeeper on October 01, 2001 at 06:56 PM]
[Edited last by Vince Maskeeper on October 02, 2001 at 10:25 PM]

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
Vince,
You da man! I guess I could have only gotten more from Joe Kane himself!
biggrin.gif

Thanks!
Troy
------------------
quote::My teacher tells me beauty is on the inside.
:That's just something ugly people say.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I guess I could have only gotten more from Joe Kane himself!
Well, I pulled up the seat right next to Joe at dinner, so I made sure to pick his brain a little (when else would I have the opportunity?)-- so hopefully I got enough info to wet everyone appetite!
Vince
------------------
http://www.musicianassist.com
AIM: VinceMaskeeper
Interested in moving into FRONT PROJECTION with huge 6-10 foot widescreen? Buy my whole HDTV-ready CRT based front projection system delivered, cheap! Click here

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I wish Joe Kane could get 720p out of his head. I'd much rather see a no holds barred 1080p HD-DVD with audiophile 7.1 sound rather than another compromised format, which DVD is. The player can downconvert from there to 1080i or 720p for those displays not yet capable of 1080p. It's easier with better quality to downconvert to 720p from 1080p than 1080i.
Many archival HD masters are done using the newest widescreen 1.78:1 HD telecine machines and D-6 digital tape which is capable of storing 1920x1080p resolution. Any type of downconverted master can be made off of that tape.
Dan
P.S. I really do hope there are calibration modes for DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 on the new Video Essentials!! Anybody who can get Mr. Kane's ear should let him know.
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!
[Edited last by Dan Hitchman on October 03, 2001 at 11:34 AM]

richard plumb

Stunt Coordinator
yes, but I'd much rather have something that runs on my current player. And a PAL version too, which hopefully will not just have corrected sound but deal with the different image adjustment abilities of PAL sets compared to NTSC.
I'd also like it to include the NTSC video calibration tests too, so that I can change settings depending on whether I'm watching a PAL or NTSC DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks