Digital to Digital picture not as good?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jeremy Jones, Mar 26, 2003.

1. Jeremy Jones

Jeremy Jones Stunt Coordinator

I FINALLY bought a 16:9 television yesterday!! All of my dvd's look SO much better. Even got a progressive scan dvd player to make it even better. However, Star Wars Episode 2 Attack of the Clones is one of the worse looking ones. I thought it was supposed to be way better than most dvds. Is it because of the digital to digital transfer? Don't get me wrong, it's watchable and looks decent most of the time, but in some instances, like in the beginning in Palpatine's office and in Padme's apartment, the picture looks a bit fuzzy, not as clear as say Independence Day. Anybody else have this problem?

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

AOTC looks soft period, partially to hide the low-res digital cameras used to shoot it. It looks that way in every format

3. Sean Laughter

Sean Laughter Screenwriter

If you want soft AOTC watch the IMAX print - blarf!!!!!!

4. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

Some fans insist this is a DVD "reference"![​IMG]

5. Jeff Kleist

yeah, because it has no grain. *sigh* (but it DOES have video noise!)

6. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Jeremy,

did you propery calibrate your new set? If so you need to give it time to break in. I ask because on my 48" HD EP II looks absolutely spectacular! Wait a couple of weeks of continuous use and calibration and look at that dvd again, you may change your mind.

EP II was the first dvd I popped in when I got my 16x9 and I wasn't initially happy with it either until my new set started to "come in" as they say.

7. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I agree with John, as do most reviewers. I don't understand the backlash about this transfer looking bad...It looks fantastic on my 53" Panny.

8. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Apologies Matt, I decided to change my post at the last minuet to something more useful, you submitted while I was still composing.

But yeah, I originally said that the transfer was one of the best out their IMO.

9. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

it's not reference in my book.

10. Jeremy Jones

John, I wasn't aware there was a break-in period on these. Thanks! Maybe in a week or so, it'll look better. Don't worry about the continuous use! [​IMG] I'm going back through all my old dvds and enjoying them all over again! I'm really starting to see which ones ARE reference and which aren't. Maybe Attack of the Clones will be a bit better after it "comes in".

11. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Why would HDTV look anything near as good as a mint 35mm print or even a 70mm print?

You don't need fancy digital cameras to make movies look better on DVD. Yes, despite what Lucasfilm and DVD reviewers say.

12. Jeff Kleist

Actually, in the case of Episode 1 an HD version WOULD look better as it hasn't been uprezzed for 35/70mm with the added grain those introduced

I thought every 35mm print I saw of Ep2 looked terrible, I would have rather they shoot Super35 than those cameras

13. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ

14. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Episode 2 looks fantastic on my Pioneer Elite 530 through the Pansasonic RP91. Some scenes are a little soft, others, like the Asteroid field, are just fantastic.

15. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

THANK GOODNESS FOR THIS THREAD!!!

Yeah I read all the "reference quality" reviews and thought that maybe my eyes were deceiving me. Of course after the initial popping in of this disc I haven't watched it since, so I am working on memory. But yeah, on my ISF'd HDTV it sure doesn't look reference for all the reasons above: no grain but definitely softness/video noise. I think the worst instances are in the lighter scenes (in terms of color/white, not humor).

16. Jeff Kleist

Lucasfilm basically said it looks just as good (umm, no) as 35mm while making their job 100x easier with the 7 trillion FX shots that need doing

17. Jeremy Jones

Well, I hope they come out with a better transfer for the Archival Editions. I liked Episode 2 a lot more than Episode 1, and want a really good copy of it. It's really amazing how fast you go through your dvds and find out how many need new transfers when you get a bigger, widescreen tv. And, some dvds played better on my circa 1997 Panasonic A310 than on my new Panasonic S35 progressive scan. 6 short years and the price of players drops from $450 to $90. Gee whiz! I have been noticing that the picture is getting better the more I use it, though.

18. Scott Calvert

Scott Calvert Supporting Actor

Actually Jeff, it was 8 trillion FX shots. Get your facts straight.

19. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    I consider AOTC to have exceptionally good picture quality, with a very high level of detail and no edge enhancement.

Some scenes have clearly been shot intentionally soft (filtered) but this picture looks great on my 92" screen.

Adam

20. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I didn't say it was references. I think there is a big difference between "not-reference" and "horrible." I think it looks better than most transfers I've seen, but as a frame of reference, I prefer LOTR FOTR:EE for it's more film like look.