What's new

Digital crossovers vs electrical crossover? (DIY newbie) (1 Viewer)

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
I am currently taking Electronic Engineering in college and learning a lot about circuit board production. Now I believe (an correct me if I am wrong) most people, when building a speaker, use electrical crossovers in their speakers. But has anyone built digital ones one here. I am learning a lot about digi's in school and have 24 hour acces to the school digital production facilities.
What are some of the differences in building electrical crossovers or going with a circuit board digital crossover.
???
Thanks in advance,
RyanP
------------------
Oops...I dropped my eardrums
could you pick them up for
me

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Ryan, do you mean active vs. passive crossovers?
Active crossovers require a power source, DSP chip, and other components, no? The active crossover is constantly monitoring the speaker input signal and deciding which driver should get the signals.
Passive crossover just require the L/C/R components configured in the right configuration and then connected to the driver components. Passive crossover mainly block off certain frequencies from going to other drivers (provided the slopes are designed so there is not hideous bump or null in the crossover regions).
------------------
PatCave ; HT Pix ; Gear ; Sunosub I + III ; DVDs ; Link Removed

Kevin Kloet

Agent
no software required for active crossovers....
just a matter of logic gates. They are probably easier (in theory) then passive crossovers... because they don't need tweaking (or not NEARLY as much).... they should perform very close to the design.
Passive crossovers are just easier for people who don't understand a lot about electronics and can be wired by completely inexperienced people.
When you get into REALLY high end caps.... the benefit of passive crossovers (acoustically) may start to kick in.... but I'll be damned if I'm paying $20 for a capacitor.

JohanK

Second Unit
no software required for active crossovers....
I was talking about digital crossovers such as the ones located in DSP engines in HT processors.
------------------
kod.gif
"Resistance is FUTILE!" -- The (HOME THEATER) BORG Link Removed
Equipment List

Kevin Kloet

Agent
An active crossover IS a digital crossover.... and there is NO software required. It's just logic burned into the processing chip(s).
Does that clarify anything?

TerryC

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin,
I think you are mistaking an Active for a Digital.
Passive-Uses coils, inductors and resistors and located after the amps and un powered
Active-uses samll op-amps, capacitors, and resistors, located before the amp and needs its own power supply
Digital-Burned on a chip like you mentioned. But used software to make the parameters that is burned into its firmware. Located before the amp and needs power
Terry

JohanK

Second Unit
Terry eloquently stated what I was trying to clarify.
------------------
kod.gif
Equipment List

Kevin Kloet

Agent
Sweet, thanks for clearing that up.
Of course, software is required (and a station that can burn in the chips) if you want to use PLDs... but if you just wire into gates in predetermined ICs... you won't require software (probably a few more chips though).
I thought he was refering to software just to run the chips, anyway.
I thought you could speak of active and digital crossovers in the same breath... even though the operation is different.
I guess that's the draw of active crossovers, as they are analog and can be tweaked on the fly with varistors... why aren't they more common I wonder? Power supplies are cheap.

JohanK

Second Unit
why aren't they more common I wonder?
I'm not an expert on crossovers but I guess I think they are pretty common...aren't they in most powered subs?
With more HT processors/receivers starting to incorporate flexible x-over controls (including slope and frequency point adjustments), maybe active x-overs will be a thing of the past.
------------------
kod.gif
Equipment List

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks