What's new

Digital Cameras (1 Viewer)

Lee_eel

Second Unit
Could someone please give me advice on what camera to opt for. I want a digital camera that is good enough to make the most of my photos when i print them . I know that normally 3 million pixels is sufficent but i am overwhelmed by the sheer number of cameras available and wonder if there are any experts out there who could advise me. I am planning on spending around £300 but don't really wan't to go much higher. I am not expecting miracles just a reasonably high quality camera. Makes i have looked at are Sony, Kodak and Olympus.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I too have been shopping for a new digital camera and found all I ever wanted to know at dpreview.com. I had narrowed my searches down to the storage media I preferred, simply because I already have a reader and then I preferred a cam that allowed use of rechargeable AA batteries since most of my equipment uses them too.
I am leaning toward the Canon A40. Really inexpensive and is around 2 meg. Has some good features and, although I seldom print off pics, it does seem to have some good specs if I so desire. I have had to control myself from buying a more expensive camera that would do a lot more than I need.

Good luck and hope the link helps.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I'll 2nd dpreview.com. I ended up getting a Nikon Coolpix and have been very satified with it's performance...

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
I have heard great things about the Canon Digital Elph. Apparantly, according to a friend, it took pictures better than a Nikon that was 2x the price.

Walt N

Second Unit
I just finished up a week or so of intense research on this topic because I found that my old digicam wasn't getting out enough due to it's large size. What I ended up with and highly recommend is the new Canon Powershot S230 ELPH (known as the Digital IXUS V3 in the UK). If size is a consideration but you don't want to skimp on the nicer features like 9 point autofocus, low-light auto focus lamp and stellar pictures taken with ease, this thing is tough to beat. Mine fits in my front pocket as easily as a pack of Camels so it tends to go places my larger camera won't, and it takes amazing pictures that will print out to 8 X 10 beautifully. I haven't tried anything larger as my printer can only handle up to that size. If you want more manual features, more zoom, and the ability to print out larger sharp prints and don't mind a bigger camera, the new Canon S45 looks to be a sure bet. Canon cameras use Compact Flash cards which is nice as they're not as expensive as some other formats. I bought a SimpleTech 512MB card for mine for at Buy.com for $150 and it will hold a ludicrous amount of pictures or 24 minutes of video with sound at medium resolution. BTW, the video quality with this camera is quite a lot better than I would have expected, in fact it's quite good.
I'd stay away from Kodak. I brought home a DX-4900 but returned it the next day due to oversaturated colors (although some might like that "Kodak look") and reports of the internal software locking up.
As previously mentioned, http://www.dpreview.com is really a great resource for this kind of stuff.

Andy F

Stunt Coordinator
i've got an s330 digital elph and love it. I haven't printed out any pictures yet, but will use a service for anything important anyway.

I don't think the digital elphs can be beat when it comes to toughness and portability. I have a friend who dropped his in a punch bowl and it still works fine. aside from the "A" series also from canon, i don't think you can get a camera with a metal case.

For the same amount of money you can get better pictures in a larger plastic case, but if small and tough is important to you, go for the Elph

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Yeah, that Canon digital elph is a powerhouse. I was going to grab one of those myself, but ultimately I opted for the G3. In fact, I just ordered my G3 this morning! That dpreview site is fantastic--definitely go there to learn all you could possibly want to know (and then some) about digital cameras.

Walt N

Second Unit
Dave, congratulations, that Canon G3 looks to be THE hot setup in a < 1K digicam. I may have to get one for shots around the house as my tiny ELPH looks ridiculous on my humongeous Slik tripod!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks