digital camera help! (using Canon PowerShot A70)

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Benny G, Feb 20, 2004.

1. Benny G

Benny G Second Unit

Ok, so I have the Canon PowerShot A70.

**I was trying to say exactly what I've done so far and what I've tried, but it got very confusing, so I deleted it.

I'll just ask:

For basketball games (pretty good lighting), about 15 feet from the court, what settings should I use for my digital camera? Specifically: ISO, shutter speed, aperture value.

I've tried lots of combinations, but nothing seems to give me even a printable picture when there's even just a bit of motion. The best I seem to have gotten so far come from ISO 200 and shutter speed around 1/200, with automatic aperture value. (using Tv setting on camera)

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

2. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Benny,

Although it may still be a good idea to use automatic aperture/exposure, you won't have control over these values, so you must make sure what it's going to be. Look at the values chosen by the camera!
    For a game (lots of movement), you must make sure the shutter speed is at least above 1/100 sec. and also higher for small angle settings. Rule-of-thumb: at least twice the focal length of the used lens or the zoomed value (value converted to 35mm film equivalent). Preferably faster.

So if your focal length (zoom value) is a 35mm-equivalent of 80mm, the least you need is 1/160 sec. (Note: I say "least", which refers to the nominator, of course. I mean: that or a shorter exposure.)

Adjust the sensitivity if necessary, sport photographers often use ISO values of 400 - 1000!

Hope this helps.

Cees