Digital audio dropout - what cause?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Marshall Sander, May 6, 2003.

1. Marshall Sander

Marshall Sander Stunt Coordinator

This is probably a common problem, and I wonder what is the cause:

I have a H/K AVR 8000 receiver and a Panasonic RP 82 DVD player. When watching DVD's (particularly Shrek is where I've noticed it) in Dolby Digital 5.1 format, I sometimes lose the sound from the FL, C and FR speakers. I can hear soft voices of some characters, but not all. If I switch the audio format to Logic 7 (or some other format), I once again hear the sound of all characters, but then it comes from all speakers.

Is this a problem with the receiver, the DVD player or hte DVD itself? Thanks in advance for any help.

2. DonT

DonT Stunt Coordinator

thats the receiver. i thought you were talking about the dd dropouts due to the rear channel flag, however those are only quick little dropouts that come right back.

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

If it's repeatable in the same spot(s) on the DVD, it's the disc. If not, it's the equipment. It could be the player, the receiver or an interaction between them.

4. Marshall Sander

Marshall Sander Stunt Coordinator

Michael - I'm using a digital coax cable from the DVD player to the receiver. Thanks for your help.

5. jeff_coil

jeff_coil Stunt Coordinator

Marshall I have heard of some people having "dropouts" due to the interconnect I would try a different cable or try an optical if you have one. Addidtionally I have read several posts on this same issue with the AVR-8000.
    Jeff