What's new

Digital audio dropout - what cause? (1 Viewer)

Marshall Sander

Stunt Coordinator
This is probably a common problem, and I wonder what is the cause:

I have a H/K AVR 8000 receiver and a Panasonic RP 82 DVD player. When watching DVD's (particularly Shrek is where I've noticed it) in Dolby Digital 5.1 format, I sometimes lose the sound from the FL, C and FR speakers. I can hear soft voices of some characters, but not all. If I switch the audio format to Logic 7 (or some other format), I once again hear the sound of all characters, but then it comes from all speakers.

Is this a problem with the receiver, the DVD player or hte DVD itself? Thanks in advance for any help.

DonT

Stunt Coordinator
thats the receiver. i thought you were talking about the dd dropouts due to the rear channel flag, however those are only quick little dropouts that come right back.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
If it's repeatable in the same spot(s) on the DVD, it's the disc. If not, it's the equipment. It could be the player, the receiver or an interaction between them.

If I switch the audio format to Logic 7 (or some other format), I once again hear the sound of all characters, but then it comes from all speakers.
That's not how Logic7 should behave. What audio connections are you running from the player to the receiver?

M.

jeff_coil

Stunt Coordinator
Marshall I have heard of some people having "dropouts" due to the interconnect I would try a different cable or try an optical if you have one. Addidtionally I have read several posts on this same issue with the AVR-8000.
Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks