What's new

Digital amp at Target....$40.00 (1 Viewer)

ClintS

Stunt Coordinator
I just connected one of these T-amps up to drive my second zone speakers JBL S36IIPM 's. I am blown away at the quality of sound! Yes its cheaply constructed with tiny clips for speaker connections and a plastic case but it more than adequately serves my purpose and saved me a bundle of money in the process. It has no problem driving these speakers to sound levels I listen to. I am using an old 14v power supply from a thrown away cordless phone so I should be getting around 15 watts / channel. All for less than $30 with shipping, from thinkgeek.com.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Wow the old JVC receiver I'm using for my household audio is dying, maybe this is a good alternative.......

ClintS

Stunt Coordinator
At very least it is a very inexpensive test, I was planning on spending a minimum of $300 for a 2 channel amplfier until I read some interesting things about this amplifier. For less than $30 invested it was worth a shot!

FeisalK

Screenwriter
Clint, it isn't perfect ;)

for one, it was only meant to take in 1 source, and thats analog. Second it runs on batteries although you can get a adapter. The volume control also isnt the best. BUT having said all that its a good/cheap tryout for digital amps.

If you want to use digital amplification for a CD or DVD source however check out the digital receivers (Panasonic XR series and JVC RX-ES1SL are in that budget range) - these have a digital input that seems to retain the signal in the digital domain all the way, bypassing DACs altogether.

Audiocircle has a dedicated digital amplification area, if anyone's interested in further reading.

ClintS

Stunt Coordinator
Nope not perfect for all situations but perfect for my application as a second zone amp.

I have a Sony 3000ES which is also a digital amplifier I have been very pleased with. I havent noticed a big difference in sound quality for the digital vs. analog inputs both sound great on the sony. The second zone is analog out only so the Sonic amp fits the bill perfectly. I have the onboard volume maxed and use the preamp in the Sony for volume control via remote. The power input is very forgiving I tried two different old wall warts a 12V and a 14V both with different tip sizes and both fit and powered the little amp just fine. These can also be found for as little as $5 if you look.

Paul Mor

Stunt Coordinator
I'm running Polk Lsi7's with an HK 7200 and would like to bi-amp them (as inexpensively as possible). Would this be a viable option? Also, I have a couple of older receivers (a Kenwood and an Onkyo), could I use either of these to bi-amp my Polks and if so, how would I hook it up?

Thanks for any help.

Paul

FeisalK

Screenwriter
Clint - great to hear its working fine :) Have you looked at the Parasound Zamp? bit more power than the T-amp.

Paul, I don't know how efficient the Lsi7s are, but the T-amp is 15W per channel into 4Ohms.

ClintS

Stunt Coordinator
Actually I had considered the Zamp but it is $300 right now I will stick with the T-amp and see how it works over the summer, it may not last as I plan on leaving it powered on as there is no easy way to remote power it off, if anyone has ideas on that I would be interested my sony has a 12v trigger I just cant figure how to implement it.

Last night I powered my tower speakers (Bic America Acoustechs) and drove them to acceptable listening levels so you could try a T-amp biamped with the Polks and see how it works for you, not a very pricey test :) 15 wpc may not sound like a lot but with a clean amplifier and efficient speakers it is enough.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Trigger the T-amp? I would think that the 12v trigger output should be sufficient to power the friggin' T-amp! :) All you need is a soldiering gun and the right jacks.

ClintS

Stunt Coordinator
Im not sure about that, the power supply they sell provides 1.3 Amps at 13.5 volts. I doubt the trigger puts out that kind of current. But I did think about that, do triggers stay powered on when the receiver is on? Im not real sure how a trigger works.

Robin Chen

Auditioning
Since this thing runs on 8AA battery in series, how much current can 8AA battery in series source anyway? Is it in the 1A region?

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Basic Electricity part 1, Kirchhoff's Laws!
8 AA cells in series can not produce any more current than one such cell. They will, however, furnish 8 times the voltage and thus eight times the power. Conversely, 8 AAs in parallel will furnish 8 times the current and 8 times the power of a single cell, at the the same voltage.

;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks