What's new

Digging up old posts (1 Viewer)

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
What's with the flurry of 1 post newbies digging up old posts lately? Seems to happen most often in the for sale sections. Doesn't anyone look at post dates? It's annoying as hell! I know other forums have required minimum post counts for sending PMs & posting in certain areas. I think we should do something similar. Is anyone with me or am I just being an unreasonable jerk?

-Dave

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Dave,
I was prepared with some useful tips on using a jack to get the post out of the ground.
Turns out, I can't help you.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Do you have any tips for getting wooden posts out of concrete? I rebuilt my fence and had to keep one of the posts, but it's not in good shape.

troy evans

Screenwriter
Those old posts make some damn fine speaker stands. I guess when you first get into HT you don't have alot of money. So, digging up posts from neighbors yards and such to build shelves and entertainment centers is par for the course. Just make sure you do it at night and be sure they don't have dogs. Oh man, the stories I could tell you......

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
One good way is to obtain one of those cherry-picker engine hoists, screw a large screw eye into the broken off piece of wood down in the ground, and then hoist away.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I had the same thing happen to me. Some guy wanted to buy my PS3 that I posted in the Hardware for Sale section last year. The way his message to me was worded, it sounded suspicious.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I can see why it'd be a pain in the "For Sale" forum, but I generally get irritated with forums that have a "no digging up old posts" rule. If the new post is relevant to the old topic, why start a new redundant thread on the same topic?

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Gmail has come up with a new test to help stop drunken e-mailing. Maybe soon it will be expanded to cover posting as well ABC News: Think Before You Drink and Draft
It is not just newbies digging up old posts. As a matter of fact a notorious old-post-digger-upper-of-er has posted in this very thread!! :eek: Lets see who can point him out.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Getting back (however briefly) to the actual topic
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
-

The rules new members are asked to read when they join instruct them to search for existing threads before opening new ones on a given topic. When they don't do that older members correct them (sometimes gently, sometimes snarkily) and alert a mod who often closes the thread and links to the thread the newbie should have posted to.

So now when a newbie does this and happens to add his post to a really old thread we're supposed to bust his chops about that? When most people find a thread through a search and add to it, they don' pay attention to the dates of the earlier posts. I doubt most of these folks know they're doing anything wrong. And if they're asking a question about something that hasn't been discussed in awhile or talking about a movie that was last debated in 2002, why is that a problem. (As Adam said, I could see this being annoying in the "For Sale" forum - but aren't threads there locked or deleted once the item(s) has been sold?)

As we used to say in the Bronx, "No autospy, no foul."

We now return to our previously scheduled discussion from "The Home Improvement Forum", already in progress...

:D

Joe

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
In all seriousness, I once knew a guy named Ed Post who went to Post, Texas, to dig post holes.

That's probably the most remarkable fact I know.

Post!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Dennis Nicholls is an expert at finding old posts because buried posts happen to give off a pheromone-like scent that only he can detect. It drives him wild.

A little Pushing Daisies reference for you'n.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
I like Post Toasties!!

(Well, not as much as Kelloggs' Corn Flakes, but that didn't quite fit.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks