Different transfers for Academy Screeners?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Floto, Mar 8, 2002.

1. Robert Floto

Robert Floto Supporting Actor

My niece's husband has access to Academy Screeners, and loaned me Ali, The Royale Tenenbaums, and Training Day which I will be viewing this weekend (I missed all three in the theatre).
    The Royale Tenenbaums is letterboxed on VHS (as were all the Academy Screeners I viewed last year), but this year Ali and Training Day are on DVD!
    What I'm wondering is...will the transfers for these screeners be the ones used for the films' upcoming (home) DVD releases? I don't think the screeners have any supplemental material that will no doubt be on the later home video releases, but is this the same transfer that the general public will get?
    I won't know if the transfers are anamorphic until I view them, but if these are indeed the same transfers then some of these films are being mastered quite a while before their home video releases...which is a lot sooner than I had ever expected...

2. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

3. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

Academy Screeners are mastered on VHS tape about a month after theatrical release. The tapes are presented in letterbox with Dolby Surround audio. Also an "always on" closed captioning disclaimer appears frequently throughout the film.

When the studios started to feel that DVD was getting more of a mainstream market penetation versus laserdisc, a few studios decided to offer Academy Screeners on DVD. At first the Academy Screeners were limited in chapter stops, some may have none. Also the menus were also very spartan, again some may not have any. And as a rule, the screeners are devoid of any supplement. Also depended on the studio, there is either an "always on" subtitle stream or "always on" closed captionion disclaimer that appears frequently. Also, a majority of the newest Academy Screeners are presented in anamorphic widescreen, the very first few Academy Screeners were simply better versions of the letterbox widescreen transfers used for VHS.

4. Scott H

Scott H Supporting Actor

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

They are probably the same transfers. More and more often, the studios are working on the DVDs concurrent to the film productions themselves.

6. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

Methinks it was a violation of the rules.

Since supplementary material can be seen as a way to bias the academy members, which is why they have a rule to not include any added-value materials including trailers.

7. Guy Martin

Guy Martin Second Unit