What's new

Different director for 4th Harry Potter movie Goblet of Fire (1 Viewer)

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Agreed with the concerns about Phoenix. Goblet was the first book that I felt was made more with an eye towards the next book in the series and didn't wrap things up neatly at the end with a huge cliffhanger, and Phoenix did it one bigger. That's gonna be a tremendously rough book to try to bring to theaters. Phoenix is definitely HP's Two Towers in terms of resolution.

Oh, and mods, I can see merging in the director for the 5th movie topic in with this one, but if it's gonna be that way, could you possibly modify the thread title to reflect it now has information for both 4 and 5?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Personally, the only way I could see Pheonix working is as a season of television. Films are built around momentum, while television is built on character evolution. Pheonix is delightful in regards to character development but lacks the action set pieces of the prior books until that shocking finale.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Anyone know the planned release date for Goblet Of Fire? I'm thinking possibly summer 2005, but more likely Nov-Dec 2005, to move it further away from Revenge Of The Sith.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I said it before. The people behind Harry Potter should take a cue from the Peter Jackson and the LOTR Trilogy. Since Goblet and Phoenix are such large books. They should release a theatrical version of say 2 1/2 hrs. And they do an extended cut for dvd with an additional 1/2-1 hr of new footage. And I am not talking about adding a line to a scenes. Just stuff that the devout fans would be looking for yet wouldn't effect the story for people who don't see it.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Yah, but I don't even think a 3.5 hour EE would be long enough to encapsulate the events of the books. Maybe Goblet, but definitely not Phoenix. I think it was Ernest in this thread or another that mentioned doing Phoenix as a season of television, and I couldn't agree more.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Wasn't me.

And I don't think any movie should be afraid of Revenge of the Sith. I wouldn't open HP 4 on the same weekend as SW3, but the weekend right after? You bet. In film exhibition, a rising tide lifts all boats. When people stream in to see one hit movie, they see ads for other movies, or their movie is sold out so they go and see something else.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
And I don't think any movie should be afraid of Revenge of the Sith. I wouldn't open HP 4 on the same weekend as SW3, but the weekend right after? You bet.
What does that have to do with anything? HP isn't opening until November of next year.

Shane S.

Stunt Coordinator

Ernest I completely agree. Following GoF is a chore I wouldnt be in a huge hurry to start. I find OotP to be the best book because of all of the character detail but it definitely lacks in action. I think its core fans will show up and since many of them will be book readers the pace will be expected. It will have enough to carry itself but they need to do a good job at making the casual vewier aware that there is more to come.
They've bought the rights to all 7 books so Id guess no matter how 5 goes 6 and 7 will see the big screen.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
What does that have to do with anything? HP isn't opening until November of next year.

JohnCo said:

"I'm thinking possibly summer 2005, but more likely Nov-Dec 2005, to move it further away from Revenge Of The Sith."

I said, in response:

"I don't think any movie should be afraid of Revenge of the Sith. I wouldn't open HP 4 on the same weekend as SW3, but the weekend right after? You bet. In film exhibition, a rising tide lifts all boats. When people stream in to see one hit movie, they see ads for other movies, or their movie is sold out so they go and see something else."

-----

Remember the Monsters, Inc. trailer with Mike and Sully playing charades, directly referencing Harry Potter, and telling people that Monsters Inc. was also playing "At a theater near you. Very near. In fact, right next to this one" or something like that. That's what I mean. Hit films can help other hit films.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I agree with you, Ernest, I just didn't know what you were referencing. I hadn't read John's comment, and thought you were making a case for releasing the film in summer 2005. That would be moot, because it's coming out in the fall regardless.

Sorry for the confusion.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
http://www.ananova.com/entertainment...279.html?menu=

Sixth Potter Book Out In July 2005

Hurrah, it's true - JK Rowling has finished the sixth Potter novel, Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince.

It will hit the shops on July 16 next year and is sure to spark a frenzy among Potter fans.

Rowling's UK publisher, Bloomsbury, said: "We are pleased to announce that JK Rowling has completed Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince, the sixth book in the Harry Potter series, and that it has been delivered to Bloomsbury."

On her official website, Jo, now pregnant with her third child, said: "I am as happy as I have ever been with the end result.

"I only hope you feel it was worth the wait when you finally read it."

Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix - a whopping 870 pages long - was published in summer 2003, an excruciating three years after the fourth book.

One character will not survive the sixth book but Jo has of course refused to identify the person.

Harry Potter is definitely through to the seventh and final book - although his creator will not reveal whether he makes it after that.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
My predictions -

Dumbledore goes down in Boox Six. You always remove the hero's mentor before the final battle (see Obi Wan Kenobi).

In book 7, Harry Potter dies to save Ron and Hermione, an act of love that completely obliterates Voldemort. Ron and Hermione are in love, and they one day have their first child, a boy, and on his head is a birthmark in the shape of a scar.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
I agree with you with Dumbledore, it makes sense. She started stripping away Harry's closest and strongest allies with Sirius and Dumbledore is the next logical choice.

Interesting idea with Harry saving Ron and Hermione. I don't know if I'd like it but it's interesting.

BTW, I'm guessing the Half-Blood Prince is Hagrid.
How about you?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks