What's new

Differences in the version of Prince of Persia? (1 Viewer)

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
That is the only live functionality the game has. (which makes it a little silly to have the Live banner splashed across the cover.)
Unless it has downloadable content? That said I agree. In my opinion a title only warrants that banner if you can actually play online.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
The 'muffled' audio as reported in the Gamecube version is not universally muffled... it's only when a large number of sounds are overlapping that the dialogue takes on that quality. There are moments when the voice is crystal clear. I have to say, since in-game dialogue is so plentiful and contributes directly to the player's understanding of what is going on (and where to go next), the poor audio is a real shame. Otherwise, the graphics are wonderful and most of the (non-dialogue) sounds are pretty great. It's just the dialogue that noticeably suffers.

Reportedly, the frame rate hitching in the PS2 version actually deters from the gaming experience. If I had a Box, I'd go with that version in a heartbeat. This is a game that deserves full immersive, crystal clear sound.

I'm not terribly far through the game (no time) -- Both of the Prince's sleeves are ripped now, if that's any indication -- but I am totally amazed so far. The comparisons with Ico are totally justified. The combat is strangely satisfying.

I have a question regarding combat maneuvers. The move I use most often (99% of the time) is the 'vault/attack' combo. Sometimes I spring away from the wall, vault over the enemy, then attack. However, in one of the 'visions,' I saw the prince do this weird 'spinning dive' maneuver away from the wall, plowing into the mid-region of an enemy. I have absolutely no clue how to perform this maneuver... does anyone know? :)

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
However, in one of the 'visions,' I saw the prince do this weird 'spinning dive' maneuver away from the wall, plowing into the mid-region of an enemy. I have absolutely no clue how to perform this maneuver... does anyone know?
While near a wall press the jump button then press and *HOLD* the jump button down. The Prince will twirl mid air and if you hit the attack button he will land with a diving sword attack.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Ah. Thanks. I wondered about that too. I thought I'd have to sheath my sword, do a wall run up the wall, jump off, and get my sword out as I was jumping. Good to know that it's not that complicated :)

John Madia

Second Unit
After beating this game, I have to say that it gets my vote for game year. Despite the fact that it's short (it took me less than 7 hours my first time through; would've been less but I got stuck on a puzzle near the end by trying to accomplish the wrong objective), pretty much everything about the game is amazing.

I'm now on to the bonus material. The POP level 1 rebuild is more of a novelty than anything and POP 1&2 are still insanely hard (especially compared to this game).

Quick Edit: If you haven't picked up this game yet, you can now get Splinter Cell free with it on any console or PC. Great deal.

John Madia

Second Unit
Supposedly you just buy POP:SOT at any major retailer and they give you Splinter Cell also. The offer is good until January 28th. You might want to call ahead anyway, since some stores probably won't know what you're talking about.

Damien

Supporting Actor
The one sticking point I have with the Gamecube version is the audio is trash, very subdued and unorganized.

Peter-PP

Stunt Coordinator
Excellent, excellent game. I played the PC version and it does not come with the extra bonuses.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
...buy POP:SOT at any major retailer and they give you Splinter Cell also...
:confused:

Great deal, but why? I can't imagine PoP needs any help for sales. And as a Platinum Series title Splinter Cell is already a bargain. That said, don't look a gift horse in the mouth - I'll have to check this out.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I can't imagine PoP needs any help for sales.
Yes it does. Same with Beyond Good & Evil, and XIII. All of Ubi's big titles for this Christmas have allegedly undersold expectations. Wrong time of year to launch new IP.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Heres the NPD top 25 for the month of November. Please keep in mind that the PS2 version of Prince of Persia released on November 6th (If not earlier as many stores broke street on it). The Xbox and GC versions were released on the 12th.

1 Mario Kart: Double Dash!! (Gamecube) - Nintendo - 527,742 - $25,731,300
2 Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (PS2) - Electronic Arts - 420,313 - $20,463,280
3 Final Fantasy X-2 (PS2) - Square Enix - 402,973 - $19,986,300
4 Grand Theft Auto: Double Pack (Xbox) - Take-Two Interactive - 391,315 - $19,354,530
5 SOCOM II: Navy Seals (PS2) - Sony - 380,182 - $18,733,560
6 Need For Speed: Underground (PS2) - Electronic Arts - 370,450 - $18,276,070
7 True Crime: Streets of L.A. (PS2) - Activision - 354,448 - $17,361,080
8 Tony Hawk: Underground (PS2) - Activision - 359,924 - $17,139,500
9 Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3 (GBA) - Nintendo
10 Madden NFL 2004 (PS2) - Electronic Arts
11 WWE Smackdown! Here Comes the Pain (PS2) - THQ
12 Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (PS2) - Electronic Arts
13 Mario Party 5 (Gamecube) - Nintendo
14 True Crime: Streets of L.A. (Xbox) - Activision
15 Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Sacred Cards (GBA) - Konami
16 Namco Museum (GBA) - Namco
17 NBA Live 2004 (PS2) - Electronic Arts
18 Frogger's Journey: Forgotten Relic (GBA) - Konami
19 Halo (Xbox) - Microsoft
20 Jak II (PS2) - Sony
21 Pac-Man Collection (GBA) - Namco
22 Eye Toy (PS2) - Sony (a dozen games bundled with the device)
23 Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 3 (Xbox) - Ubi Soft
24 Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga (GBA) - Nintendo
25 Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando (PS2) - Sony

Not a single one of the platform specific versions broke into the top 25. By no means is NPD definitive or all encompassing of course but that should give a good barometer of what kind of sales problems PoP is having. (which is ashame)

Brandon_H

Stunt Coordinator
While it's criminal for PoP's sales to be so far below expectations, I have to agree with BrianB that UbiSoft's decision to release at the height of Christmas season was questionable, at best. There are simply too many established franchise titles being released for more boutique titles such as PoP or Beyond Good and Evil to stand out.

I doubt many "mainstream" gamers have any firsthand knowledge of the classic PoPs of years past, especially considering that they date back to the early 90s. Ubi would have been better off releasing this title in February, or even mid-summer.

But what surprises me is that the pre-release hype and generally very positive reviews for PoP haven't seemed to help it much. Quite a few gaming mags did cover stories about it, and those that didn't still gave it copious press coverage. Interesting . . . perhaps it needs to get some love from the mainstream entertainment rags like Rolling Stone, Entertainment Weekly, Spin or Maxim. (Of course, it might have already -- I don't read all those 'zines regularly.)

P.S. I'm digging the 30-day videogame odyssey.

John Madia

Second Unit
I have the feeling that they took a few things out just to get it on shelves in time for Christmas. It's been confirmed that they took out a flying giffith creature (which I believe you can see in the special features). That's why you got three different swords. You'd fight it three times, each after receiving a new sword. In the first and second fight, the sword wasn't strong enough to kill it. With the third sword, you'd finally be able to kill it. I was wondering why you received a second new sword in the game since it really didn't do anything. I guess that's why.

Too bad it isn't selling well since I'm hoping for a sequel. Maybe people are just renting it instead of buying it. Despite the short length, you'll still want to play through it again just because it's so much fun. It's actually longer than the original POP (which you only have one hour to complete). Of course the original will probably take you 10x as long due to the difficulty.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
I was at EB yesterday inquiring about that promotion (they recognized it but were out of copies) and they also said sales were low on PoP.

John Madia

Second Unit
You may very well be correct about the original purpose of the third sword, but the third sword does have a very important function as far as the released game is concerned:
Yes, the first and third sword you get have important functions in the game but the second one you get does nothing. I was wondering why it was in there since it didn't seem to be stronger or do anything more than the first one you got.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
second one you get does nothing
It definitely does have a purpose. The second sword you acquire in the game allows you to break the wall barrier blocking your path in the bath area. It leads to the underground tunnel. Without the second sword your current weapon is unable to break the wall standing in your way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks