What's new

Difference in speaker frequencies (1 Viewer)

Hey all,

I currently own a pair of Infinity Alpha 50 speakers that I have had for about three years now and been very happy with.

I may have an opportunity to get a pair of the newer Beta series at a good price but am wondering if it is worth it.

The biggest difference I noticed between the Alpha and the Beta is that the Beta has a top-end frequency of 40,000 Hz whereas my Alphas have a top end of 22,000 Hz.

For all the audio engineers out there, I would appreciate any feedback you have to offer on whether my ears would notice the difference in this higher frequency capability? Any additional comments people may have about the Beta 50 compared to the Alpha 50 would also be appreciated.

Thanks again,

Mark

mackie

Supporting Actor
Adult males can't hear anything over 15khz. Some may but most can't, so basically anything over that is lost.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Further, speaker system frequency responses hardly ever push beyond the 15 kHz-20 kHz range. If there is any response at "40 kHz" (terribly unlikely), it is rolled off to an extreme.

To mean anything at all, a speaker's frequency response should be measured on-axis and at a range that's plus-or-minus a given number of decibles within that range (35 Hz to 15 kHz at plus or minus 4 decibles, for example -- which is a pretty flat response for a speaker system).

Greg Bright

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregory Bright
Mark,

I have Infinity Interludes, and it's going to take several more generations of change and improvement by Infinity before I consider upgrading. Differences between the Alphas and Betas are mostly cosmetic. It's not like the old days when a speaker model could go unchanged for 5 years and still sell well. Dealers now want something new and different almost every season. Damn shame, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks