What's new

difference between the 34HF83, 34HF84 and the 34HFX84 picture wise? (1 Viewer)

I too have changed my initial opinion of the TV. I switched my connections from my receiver to directly to the TV. I upgraded my DVD cables from S-Video to Component, as well as turn the DVD's Progressive Scan feature on. I also calibrated the picture with the Digital Video Essential calibration DVD. However, I need to do it again since the preferences did not save or something and they are lost and I did not write them down.

I agree with Seb that there are minor flaws that only the most trained eyes can notice (none of my family or friends have noticed it :)

Sebastien, I would be interested in seeing what your final settings are after calibration.

Thanks,

-Lou

Sebastien S

Second Unit
Sure, I'll try and post them later tonight or tomorrow at the latest.

Something I forgot to mention in my previous post. As I was calibrating one of my inputs, I noticed that "red push" is practicaly non-existent on this set!!! Most TV's will push the color "red" to a certain degree, but the "red" level on this set is "almost" perfect...

I don't think I have ever been this impressed by a set before!

Sebastien S

Second Unit
Today I finished calibrating the set and tested out a few DVD's, the set looks incredible and I am extremely happy with it! I don't understand why some people did not like it... Perhaps they got a faulty set?

Here is what a few of my DVD's looked like (Review only).

"Superman - The movie"

Absolutely beautiful! The colours of the suit came out perfectly. The blue in the suit was indeed blue and not green, the red was very sharp but not overly saturated.

"The Matrix Revolutions"

I tested this one to see how black levels looked on the set, no problems here. Black is indeed black and not grey! Looked excellent.

"Final Fantasy - The Spirit Within"

Many people don't like this movie but I do and I always find it a good source of reference when calibrating a TV. The colours, sharpness and black levels all looked amazing on this movie.

"Star Wars - The Empire Strikes Back"

First I tried the AT-AT battle on Hoth, I was afraid that perhaps I might have placed the contrast too low and that whites may be grey... No worries, the snow in this scene was as white as it should be.

Next I tried the Lightsaber battle between Vader and Luke... Simply amazing! Some people have been complaining about the new Lightsaber colour effect, but I think they look better than ever! Vader's lightsaber is pinkish, but I think it was always made to look that way!

Over all, the movie looked great on this set!

"Lord of the Rings - FOTR"

Again, amazing. I seem to notice details now that I did not in my previous set and that set was extremely good.

Here I tried the scene where the "Nazgul" are chasing "Frodo and Arwen" on horse back to the river. The scene was more stunning than I had ever noticed!

I tested many other movies but you get the idea.

Frankly I don't know what else to say about this set that I already haven't said before... Except at this set also has two HDMI inputs, but I'm sure you all knew this already!

I recommend it to anyone looking for a 34" direct view HDTV.

P.S.

Here are my settings for this set. I use the "Avia" DVD to calibrate my set. Remember that depending where you are, what room you are in and the lighting effects that you are subject too, vary from person to person. Your settings may or may not resemble mine, that does not mean that you have not properly calibrated your set.

VCR and Satellite HDTV programming

Contrast: 65
Brightness: 36
Sharpness: 22
Colour: 37
Tint: R1

DVD

Brightness: 34

Playstation 2

Brightness: 32

Universal Settings (for all inputs)

SVM: Off
DNR: Off
Mode: Preference
Colour Temperature: Medium
Auto Aspect: Off
Cinema Mode: Film
Tilt Correction: -6
Picture Scroll (Zoom): -1

Thanks, Seb!

I found that my Receiver was causing much interference in the picture quality. Because of this, I have all devices connected directly to the Television (until I can upgrade my receiver).

I now have my DVD player connected via Component Video vs. S-Video.

I actually had to change very little from the default "Movie" settings. The modification I made were:

SVM = Off
DNR = Off
Sharpness = '0' (Zero)
Color Temp = Warm

Some of the DVD's I have tested are: Finding Nemo, A Bugs Life, Monsters, Inc. (Can you tell I have kids?), T2, and Pink Floyd: The Wall. The colors and detail is absolutely supurb!!

I second the fact that I would recommend this set to anyone in the market for a 34" television who has limited space (since speakers are on the bottom, the set is narrower) and budget.

BTW, are the Monster THX cables worth the money if I want to upgrade my cables? Also, anyone seen the upcoming Panasonic SA-XR70 A/V Receiver with HDMI Input/Output connections that do Component/S-Video/Composite upconversion? Looks like a great little system for the features and price (Lists at $399.99 USD)

-Lou

Television: Toshiba 34HFX84
Satellite Receiver: Dish Nnetwork DP508 PVR
A/V Receiver: Sony STR-DE675
DVD Changer: Sony DVP-NC655P
Speakers: Sony SA-VE525

Sebastien S

Second Unit
"Sharpness = 0"

Wow! Mine is set at 22 and I wasn't sure if I had it too low?

I find that "Sharpness" is the hardest thing to calibrate!

Seb,

I agree that sharpness is the most difficult to adjust. I started with it set to zero from the beginning of the calibration. After I had all of the other settings set, I did not feel that the sharpness was doing much of anything. In the early days when the screens were smaller, sharpness added to the image but now a days, I do not think it is needed as much.

I am now looking to add HDTV from Dish Network as my next step. Can't wait to see what the picture looks like through the HDMI ports.

-Lou

Sebastien S

Second Unit
Yes, I need to change my satellite receiver as well so I can start watching HDTV programming...

I believe Bell ExpressVu has recently just released a new receiver with a DVI output.

Linda_M

Auditioning
Hello, all!

My husband and I ordered the 34HFX84 from the same place as Lou after comparing many options. We haven't purchased a new television in over 10 years so you can imagine the amount of review and research that went into this decision. Apparently, the next shipment isn't due in until the 1st of October so it will be another 2 weeks before we receive it. I simply wanted say Thank you! to Lou and Sebastien for the valuable information that you've posted. This is most encouraging. We'll post again after the set arrives.

Linda & Stuart

Angel Pagan

Second Unit

Jason, can you please share your source for this info. Also, any way to distinguish between the "early batches" and new ones?

Thanks.

sabryan

Grip
I just got mine.
VIDEO ONLY store in Oregon, $1389.00 with 5 years in home warranty.

I was dissapointed before I did any calibrations, until a couple days ago I followed the settings someone posted here (thanks) and everything came to life, very good video quality using SVIDEO from Directv -> THX onkyo system -> 34HFX84, I read here that if I connect directly from Directv to my TIVO and then my TV, bypassing the Onkyo receiver, I might just get a better quality SD, I will be getting my Directv HDTV tuner in a week, I got directv to give it ot me for $149.00, it does not sound like a deal since Dishnet is given them for free, but that is what I am paying.

I have a few questions:

1. is it a common thing while using SD (standard TV Definition) to see blurred images as the objects move faster accross the screen? and what happens when I get to use Component + HDTVsignal, whould I see blurred images also?

2. I see lots of "Do not connect this set to a computer" messages all over the manual, can anyone tell me why?

3. whould it be a better option to connect my THX onkyo receiver using the "audio out" or have everytnig come to my receiver first and then to my tv?

4. My incoming signal path will be: Component Directv ->
Svideo TIVO -> Component 34hfx84, so my tivo has only SVideo connections, would that degrade the signal or is there something I could do besides buying a Component Tivo?

Thank you

Since my current reciever doesn't do any up-conversion, I have everything connected to my television directly. I have Dish Network SD only (Will probably get the HDTV after the new year). This is connected via S-Video. It seems only certain channels/programs have the issues for me. I honestly have not seen this television with a true HDTV satellite signal. I am using the MOnster Cable 3 Video series cables for the S-Video for Satellite and the Component for my DVD.

So, here are my answer to your questions:

1. From my experience, Yes. But the severity depends on the channel/program.

2. The warning is due to burn-in. Most computers have static images (desktop, application, etc.). If you do, make sure your computer screen size is 800X640. Otherwise is will be too large for you television screen.

3. Always do your audio directly to your receiver. If your receiver has a high quality up-conversion capability, then you can run your video to your receiver first.

4. I am not familiar with TiVo, so I cannot answer this specifically from that product, however, you may experience some level of degradation. The level may be so minimal you do not notice. It may also depend on the channel/program you are recodring.

Hope this helps!

-Lou

Jim Mack

Auditioning
I'm looking for a widescreen HDTV to fit into our entertainment unit (37" max width) and the 34HFX84 seems like a good choice. Is this the best TV available that will fit? Has anyone heard of anything better coming out in the near future? I have read as much as possible, but I haven't had much luck finding one to see, much less several different models to compare.

Thanks,

Jim

jimTesla

Auditioning
Well my Tv comes today....

Toshiba 34HFX84

I got the stand yesterday....

What cables are everybody using? Monster?

Thanks

Jim

I'm currently using the Monster Video 3 cables to connect my cable box, Digital Media Server and DVD player, as well as the Monster optical cables for Audio. I will probably use Monster when I move to HDTV (Selection is not very robust in my area -- 5 stations, not including premium).

Any way, make sure you use an Avia or DVE DVD to calibrate your set. You will enjoy it much, much better!

jimTesla

Auditioning
Having some problems getting the set to look great all the time...

My son plays x-box games.....anybody with numbers for this?
I foumd being on movie mode is better than preference

I have basic cable and the signal looks very grainy....going to hdtv and digital cable next week...

display format says 1081 is this the problem and can it be changed?

another note...i have the cable going into my toshiba dvd recorder and then out to the tv....If I bypass this will it look better?

THanks

Jim

Dean L

Stunt Coordinator
Senastion S. quote,
"Just one thing I feel the need to mention... People who have a home theater system and place their "center channel" speaker on top of their TV might want to find another place to set it. All my speakers are shielded and I used to have the center channel on the top of my two previous TV's, I never had any problems... However, as soon as I placed my center channel on top of this TV, a purple discoloration started forming at the top of the screen right under the right part of my speaker. I removed it immediately and the purple effect dissapeared. Later I tried again and as soon as I placed it on the set, the purple effect returned.
I don't know why this is? Perhaps this set is more sensitive than others??? Fortunately, I have shelves on the wall right above my TV so I place my center channel in the bottom shelf (right above the set) and everything is fine. If this is the biggest problem this set has, I can definitely live with it!"

Glad you brought this up.
I have been seriously considering the 34HFX84. Till I saw the problem with your center speaker distorting the picture.
ANyone else have the same problem Sebastion had?
If so, any word if Toshiba will correct this problem.
I use a Definitive Tech C1 center speaker, and using a seperate shelf in my room for a center speaker is just not practical for me.
Any replies would be appreciated.

matt-f

Second Unit
The cinema series also have better tubes(even thou the specs say the same tubes) than the signature series which result in having a better PQ image.

It looks like the cinema series is exclusive to Canada generally because it's on the CDN website while the US website has no reference to them.

jimTesla

Auditioning
Just had Digital Cable with HD installed today.....

OMG..........The picture quality is unbelieveable.

The set had a poor connection...They ran a complete new line......Everything is just unreal in HD with this set....

The ability to record and play back live TV is also great..

I am glued to this thing.....

My next purchase will be a surround sound set up......

Thanks for input.....

Users who are viewing this thread