What's new

Difference between 2-disc & 4-disc Pearl Harbor? (1 Viewer)

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
Alright, I'm sure the answer is no but I gotta ask just to fulfil my curiousity. The 2-disc version packaging has a runtime of 183 minutes. Well I just bought the 4-disc Vista version yesterday and noticed the running time is 184 minutes. Is there a difference at all since the Vista version is the "The Director's Cut"?

I am thinking it is due to the little 2 minute thing on P&S vs. WS on disc 1.

JonBoriss

Stunt Coordinator
Well the directors cut is longer and it is rated R. A little of the romance stuff is cut and there is a bit more violence, nothing drastic.
god I hate that movie...

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
I liked the movie and the director's cut has these changes:

>Rafe's Arrival In London is trimmed.
>Betty's Discussion of Church is extended with different takes.
>The swimming scene uses different angles and is trimmed.
>One of Captain Thurman's scenes is extended.
>Slurs can be heard during the Dorie Miller match.
>The recreation of the attack includes a lot more violence from torsos to limbs flying about. You also see sailors on fire, shrapnel dismemberment, and a severed head.
>Captain Bennion's death is extended with new shot showing him trying to hold his intestines. While Miller tries to put them back in.
>The hospital scenes are extended with more graphic footage including arms and legs lying on the floor.
>Additional "clean" footage is added to the attack along with profanity.
>The campfire scene no longer exists in the "director's cut."
>A new Dolittle scene is added.
>During the Japan raid, new dialogue is added.

As for the DVDs...

The 60th Anniversary Commemorative Edition is presented in anamorphic widescreen and split across two discs. A choice of either English DTS 5.1 Surround sound or English DD 5.1 Surround sound. The second disc holds "Journey To The Screen: The Making of Pearl Harbor" and "Unsung Heroes of Pearl Harbor" documentaries. Also on the second disc are a music video and 2 trailers.

The Vista Series is broken down like this:
-Disc One
Director's Cut Part 1
DTS 5.1 Surround Sound, DD 5.1 Surround sound
3 Commentaries
Film Intermission With Score
-Disc Two
Director's Cut Part 2
DTS 5.1 Surround sound, DD 5.1 Surround sound
3 Commentaries
"Journey To The Screen: The Making of Pearl Harbor" documentary
Music Video
-Disc Three
"Unsung Heroes of Pearl Harbor" and "One Hour Over Tokyo" documentaries
Soldier's Boot Camp
Production Diary
Super 8 Montage
2 Theatrical Trailers
-Disc Four
"Deconstruction Destruction" documentary
Interactive Attack sequence
"When Culture Collide: From Perry To Pearl Harbor" interactive timeline
Still Gallery

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Harold, also the Vista Series 4 disc image is a tad smoother and more detailed than the 2 disc version. Not huge, but noticeable.

Audio appears to be the same?

The supplemental features are fantastic. The entire packaging, inserts, and insightful documentaries are among the best yet to arrive on dvd.

You can just tell they went all out on this dvd set. I liked the movie, and if it was a little better, I would have nominated this dvd to be the best of 2002 instead of LOTR-FOTR-EE in terms of overall stuff. But FOTR easily surpasses PH in movie quality to me.

Try dvdpricesearch.com for the best online deal?

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor
I just picked up the Director's Cut of this film and was checking out some old reviews since I've never seen the movie. This quote from Jeff Kleist's review on The Digital Bits really hit my funny bone:

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

Why? I must agree with Jeff that the four-disc Vista Series release of Pearl Harbor does indeed remain "one of the finest special editions ever produced."

What did you find funny?

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
I liked the movie as pure Michael Bay B-movie schlock, but the Pearl Haror: Vista Series DVD is ONE of the finest DVDs ever produced.

The film is split across two discs with a fantastic 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer with Dolby Digital and DTS (and three audio commentaries). On the rest of Disc 2 and on Discs 3 and 4 there is TONS of information provided detailing the making of the film and the actual event itself. Every disc in the set is jam packed with extras.

The Pearl Harbor: Vista Series is just as good as the four discs LOTR DVDs, just that the film isn't that good.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
although the packaging looks amazing, it is, for practical purposes, CRAP. it will totally scratch up your discs when you take them out/put them in; what i did was use the "telegram" paper as a cover for a 2 disc amaray case (thick version). then use the sticker that says "Pearl Harbor Director's Cut" on the area that will be the spine.

then i leave the other 2 supp. discs in the original packaging since i'll never watch them again anyways.

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
Well I just finished watchin the Director's Cut version and I could definitely tell the difference. For one, there was alot more blood and guts during the Japanese invasion. A lot blood every where for that matter.

I have to agree about the disc holders, they are very difficult. At first I didn't know that they separated from the package as a whole, which makes it easier to get them out, but it's not very practical in deed.

I must say though this is one purchase and movie that I am glad I upgraded from the 2-disc. All of the extras are amazing. I only wish more movies could be this creative and thorough. I sure don't mind paying $30 for this much extra stuff.

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor

The packaging is outstanding, but I've not had time yet to actually start viewing the content. I have no doubt that it's an excellent set.

What I found funny was that it didn't sound like he thought that Rings was going to be very impressive. As I've mentioned, I've not yet viewed the Pearl Harbor discs, but I think the supplements on the Lord of the Rings discs are some of the best out there.

Maybe I was just reading it wrong, but I found it funny.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
I'm still lost. What was funny about the Digital Bits quote? Am I supposed to think that the Extended Edition of Fellowship of the Ring is the greatest DVD of all time or some such thing?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I was kind of interested in picking up this film and that larger box set that included the National Geographic documentary on the real Pearl Harbor events, a map of the attack flight path and other sundries. In researching the alternative versions like the Vista Series version, it looks like that Vista version has the 3 audio commentary, directors cut and other suppliments, but I wasn't sure if that was the 4 disc set.

What I like about that larger box set was the inclusion of the National Geographic doc and it looks like it's not part of the Vista Series set. Is that right? If I want that doc, I might have to buy it separately if I bought the Vista Series set. Thanks for any input on the sets.

Read on only if you want to hear my view of this film, it's just for grins: On a totally unrelated note, while watching the ABC broadcast of this movie the other night, it was amusing to me how this film and Armageddon looked like they were essentially the exact same movie. And I don't mean Ben Affleck. Maybe this has already been noted?

The structure of the plot, the idea that the lead is in love with a girl and is in a triangle situation with another male character. One is Josh Hartmett and the other is Bruce Willis. On both films, a disaster strikes and the lead is called into the effort to the save the day or world. He and the other male lead embark on a dangerous series of missions and survive until the very end and one is killed. But the day is saved and the lead goes home and ends up with the girl. Both have extreme situations were lots of people are killed with lots of razzle dazzle effects. However Armageddon was by far and away beyond suspension of belief and pushed creditility beyond the limits, but it was a sci-fi film by Bruckheimer, so I can forgive a little. Similarly, Pearl Harbor played fast and loose with the historical facts which irked a lot of people, but it's a Bruckheimer popcorn film, so I forgave a little. I thought "30 seconds over Tokyo" with Van Heflin and Spencer Tracy was superior.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Jeff said that as the FOTR 4-disc edition didn't even come out at the moment of time the DC of Pearl Harbor was released.

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor

If you don't see the humor there, then move along. I just happen to find it humorous. And looking back on last year's Top 100 DVDs (voted on by members of this forum and several others) where LOTR was voted #1 and Pearl Harbor was #27, I thought more people would find that quote funny. Guess not.

jonathan_govols

Stunt Coordinator
This 4 Disc set is the best set I currently own (I really have no desire to see the Lord of the Rings movies). I believe this has one of the best DTS tracks I've heard (I guess only Daredevil and Terminator 2 can compare for me). I really liked Pearl Harbor and I thought it was a wonderful film. But I guess I can see why some people wouldn't like it (If they were totally expecting a total action-war movie).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks