What's new

Die hard Japan vs Die hard US (1 Viewer)

Tan Ng

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all

I have been purshasing a lot of DVDs from Japan and I am very impressed with the sound and video of Japanese DVD comparing to US DVDs especially Superbit. I now have Die hard Ultimate Edition Region 1 but very curious about the Japanese Region 2 of the same movie. Does any one have a chance to view them both an compare them or know any website that compare them both side by side?? Thanks all

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor
Craig, he said that he's compared other movies and been more impressed with the Japanese, so he must feel that there is a difference in quality, whether it's just him or not, I don't know.

As for that dvd, I've never seen a comparison, sorry!

Mike

CraigL

Screenwriter
Well, I think most people won't go out of their way to get a Japanese version of a movie that already has fantastic picture and sound here in the US. There really is no reason to get it from Japan. It costs a helluva lot more. There is no difference in extras.

I'm just curious as to what the point is.

CraigL

Screenwriter

Then you may be alone in that since it seems you have a good deal of disposable income. If there is no difference in extras and it's the exact same content, then it would be difficult for there to be a difference unless bits were allocated differently or a different master was used. On titles like this, it's doubtful. Plus, with Japanese titles being 3-4x more expensive than R1 titles, unless there is hard evidence of a difference, most people won't bother to try.

Good luck.

Todd McF

Second Unit
If you are using a projector even a slight difference can be monumental. Check out DVDBeaver.com and you'll see that in many cases - the overseas dvds are superior.

CraigL

Screenwriter
Todd,

Depends on what you're talking about.

Some of those comparisons are done between different films companies. Sometimes a different region will have a different distributor which means that a different master may be used.

Some of those comparisons are done between PAL and NTSC and PAL has more lines of resolution so that too would account for a difference in picture.

However, here we're dealing with one movie company and one format (NTSC) of the same release. Chances are slim to none that there is a difference.

John O

Stunt Coordinator

That's what he is asking. How much "disposable income" he has is not the point.

BTW, I am also curious about a comparision.

Tan Ng

Stunt Coordinator
Craig

I just bought the Japan Alien Quadrilogy and compare to the US version which I own, the Japan discs are much superior in term of video and sound. For example, the Alien resurrection of US have color bleeding and look yellowish where the Japan disc look really accurate and no color bleeding and the DTS sound more open than the US disc.

CraigL

Screenwriter
DTS is an obvious difference. You can't compare the Alien Quadrilogy to Die Hard, where there is NO difference.

CraigL

Screenwriter

It is when you're asking people for a comparison. People don't usually get a disc from Japan when it doesn't have A) something obviously different about it (DTS, 16x9, extras) or B) different packaging.

Die Hard has neither. Therefore, I don't think people are going to be spending 3 times as much as they would here. It's still in print.

CraigL

Screenwriter

Sorry I misread that part. You mentioned the Quad and it threw me :)

You'll have to use a better example. People would buy the Quad set for the DTS on Aliens and Alien 3 alone ;)

Any discs where it's the EXACT same as the US version?

Tan Ng

Stunt Coordinator
CRaig

yeah. Both Alien resurrection have DTS but the video on region 2 is better as I mentioned above. Is it a good example or not? I am kind of confused about you want better example

John O

Stunt Coordinator
Craig
You are all over the map on this one. I agree that Die Hard UE is probably identical to the US release. But the question is, Does anyone own both releases and can they make a comparison?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks