What's new

Die Hard 1 and 3 Blu-ray vs. DVD comparisons (1 Viewer)

Kevin Fox

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin
Excellent news that Fox finally got Die Hard 3 right.

Way back when we had an HTF conversation with the Fox rep at the time, I asked him what had happened with Vengeance (this was right around the time they released the 2-disc collector's editions on DVD) since the DVD looked almost as bad as the laserdisc, and he said that it wasn't the transfer so much as the source material.

He didn't elaborate any further on that, but whatever the reason, it finally looks right, at least based on those screenshots.

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
Just a heads up. DeepDiscount.com lowered their price on the 4-pack collection to match Amazon's and after one of the 20% coupons is now $66.36

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
I'm still amazed at how bad SD DVD looks in comparison to HDM.

ErichH

Screenwriter

Thanks - I've been up in the air about the price of this set, but the coupon tipped me over the edge.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Got my set yesterday and I kinda wished I'd have paid the extra money for the individual releases because the packaging design plain sucks, plus the case was damaged. :thumbsdown:

Robin_B

Stunt Coordinator
WOW those look great. I was particularly wondering if the third film was going to finally look decent and boy does it. Quite an improvement on DH too but not as much. Where's the comparisons for DH2?

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
OMG I can't get over how great DH3 looks! :eek:

As a long time hater of the infamously screwed up DVD's of this film seeing it on BD WITHOUT the ringing and EE was like coming out of the forest and seeing the sun for the first time, I mean you can actually make out individual objects on the shelves of Zues' store and count the whiskers on McClane's stubble! :cool:

It was great to finally watch this film without that impossible to ignor ringing grating on my eyes!
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif

Now if they can just do the same for Tombstone we'll be cookin' with gas! :)

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the link.
Never was a "DH" fan, I'm too old I quess.
However, LUV'D "LForDH" in the theater (watched the BD yesterday); so checked out "DH" on TV letterboxed no less (on Tuesday).
Wanted too get 1 on BD, however the reviews of the disc weren't all that great.
After seeing this, I'll have NO problem picking up 1!
Thanks, again.

Shad R

Supporting Actor
I watched this on bd on my hd projector, and HOLY COW!!!I could see liscense plate numbers, badge numbers, I could read Bayer on the bottle McClain carried around with him...I could not beleive the difference. I also checked out the difference with NO Country for Old Men. That made my jaw drop. But what impressed me even more than the pic was the SOUND! Even just listening through the optical out, there was a SOLID improvement in sound. Fortunately my friend brings his PS3 over a lot ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks